POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Texturing the inside of a hollow hemisphere Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:55 EDT (-0400)
  Texturing the inside of a hollow hemisphere (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Jonsku
Subject: Texturing the inside of a hollow hemisphere
Date: 10 Sep 2010 10:10:01
Message: <web.4c8a3af487a9d0ce5dbcd8250@news.povray.org>
Hello, this is my first post here!

I'm working on a project to be displayed in a full-dome planetarium. I rendered
some test animation that I haven't had the opportunity to see in the planetarium
yet. However I tought it would be nice to create a simulation with our favorite
ray tracer.

What I have done so far is to write a macro to build a dome model like so :

#macro dome(position, rayon, insideTexture, outsideTexture)
    difference{
        difference{
            sphere{position, rayon*1.11 texture{outsideTexture}}
            sphere{position, rayon texture{insideTexture}}

        }
        box{position-<rayon*1.11,0,rayon*1.11>,
position+<rayon*1.11,rayon*1.11,rayon*1.11>}
    }
#end

As you can see it is made of a sphere hollowed out by another smaller one and
then cut in two by a box.

I'm calling this macro from inside an object so I can apply rotation, scalling,
etc.. if needed from there :

object {
    dome(<0,0,0>, 1, insideT, outsideT)
    rotate x*180
}

The outside texture declaration (a simple colour pigment):
#declare outsideT = texture{
    pigment{color Green}
}

This is working well, but now I'm having troubles figuring out how to texture
the inside of the dome. At the moment my texture declaration that I pass to the
macro as "insideTexture" is as follow :

#declare insideT = texture{
    pigment{
        uv_mapping
        image_map{png "data/FisheyeTest.png"}
    }
}

where FisheyeTest.png is a square image (ratio width/height = 1/1) rendered with
POV-Ray using the fisheye camera.

The texture shows up but it is not set up properly. I tried different rotation,
map_type, but no luck so far.

I'm really stuck, could someone please help me?

Best regards,
Jonsku

Post a reply to this message

> I'm working on a project to be displayed in a full-dome planetarium. I rendered
> some test animation that I haven't had the opportunity to see in the planetarium
> yet. However I tought it would be nice to create a simulation with our favorite
> ray tracer.
>
> What I have done so far is to write a macro to build a dome model like so :
>
> #macro dome(position, rayon, insideTexture, outsideTexture)
>     difference{
>         difference{
>             sphere{position, rayon*1.11 texture{outsideTexture}}
>             sphere{position, rayon texture{insideTexture}}
>
>         }
>         box{position-<rayon*1.11,0,rayon*1.11>,
> position+<rayon*1.11,rayon*1.11,rayon*1.11>}
>     }
> #end
>
> As you can see it is made of a sphere hollowed out by another smaller one and
> then cut in two by a box.
>
> I'm calling this macro from inside an object so I can apply rotation, scalling,
> etc.. if needed from there :
>
> object {
>     dom, insideT, outsideT)
>     rotate x*180
> }
>
> The outside texture declaration (a simple colour pigment):
> #declare outsideT = texture{
>     pigment{color Green}
> }
>
> This is working well, but now I'm having troubles figuring out how to texture
> the inside of the dome. At the moment my texture declaration that I pass to the
> macro as "insideTexture" is as follow :
>
> #declare insideT = texture{
>     pigment{
>         uv_mapping
>         image_map{png "data/FisheyeTest.png"}
>     }
> }
>
> where FisheyeTest.png is a square image (ratio width/height = 1/1) rendered with
> POV-Ray using the fisheye camera.
>
> The texture shows up but it is not set up properly. I tried different rotation,
> map_type, but no luck so far.
>
> I'm really stuck, could someone please help me?
>
> Best regards,
> Jonsku

If I'm understanding ... Instead of applying textures in the macro
(during the difference) I'd use interior_texture:

object {
  dome (parameters)
  texture {outsideT}
  interior_texture {insideT}