POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : curved prism object Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  curved prism object (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: optima
Subject: curved prism object
Date: 17 Aug 2010 05:15:01
Message: <web.4c6a52a3af6d28666556a6ea0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I can create sharp cornered objects using prism function, such as the case of
the
cabinet in the picture.

But creating the front door and the top/bottom panels is problematic for me
cause I dont know how to "bend/curve" the path for a prism.

the code I use for the case is below
//top
cls.WriteLine("union{prism {linear_spline 0,75,7");
cls.WriteLine("<" + s1x + "," + s1y + ">, <" + s2x + "," + s2y + ">, <" + s3x +
"," + s3y + ">, <" + s4x + "," + s4y + ">, <" + s5x + "," + s5y + ">, <" + s6x +
"," + s6y + ">, <" + s1x + "," + s1y + ">");

cls.WriteLine(color + "} finish {phong 1 ambient 0.6 reflection 0}}");
cls.WriteLine("rotate<-0,0,180> ");
cls.WriteLine("translate<0," + Height + ",0>}");

Does it have something to do with linear_spline , can you give me a simple
sample for creating this door and the top panel as prism object or another
better object?

I can draw this shape from top down view in C# gdi+, but in povray I dont know
which arguments to feed into which function.

http://www.kitchendesigned.com/public_download/curved_cabinet.jpg

thank you very much for all your help

Post a reply to this message

> I can create sharp cornered objects using prism function, such as the case of
> the
> cabinet in the picture.
>
> But creating the front door and the top/bottom panels is problematic for me
> cause I dont know how to "bend/curve" the path for a prism.
> Does it have something to do with linear_spline , can you give me a simple
> sample for creating this door and the top panel as prism object or another
> better object?
>
> I can draw this shape from top down view in C# gdi+, but in povray I dont know
> which arguments to feed into which function.
>
> thank you very much for all your help

Can you provide a link to a sketch of the most complex piece you will
have to make? I've been working on a rounded prism object which may suit
your needs. With it, you describe a series of points making up a linear
spline and can add rounding to each point, allowing for more complex
shapes. The object can be beveled, and can also handle sharp corners. It
can easily produce the object you posted. I'm almost done with it; I
just need to provide a few sample scenes.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> I can create sharp cornered objects using prism function, such as the case of
> the
> cabinet in the picture.
>
> But creating the front door and the top/bottom panels is problematic for me
> cause I dont know how to "bend/curve" the path for a prism.
>
> the code I use for the case is below
> //top
> cls.WriteLine("union{prism {linear_spline 0,75,7");
> cls.WriteLine("<" + s1x + "," + s1y +">,<" + s2x + "," + s2y +">,<" + s3x +
> "," + s3y +">,<" + s4x + "," + s4y +">,<" + s5x + "," + s5y +">,<" + s6x +
> "," + s6y +">,<" + s1x + "," + s1y +">");
>
> cls.WriteLine(color + "} finish {phong 1 ambient 0.6 reflection 0}}");
> cls.WriteLine("rotate<-0,0,180>  ");
> cls.WriteLine("translate<0," + Height + ",0>}");
>
> Does it have something to do with linear_spline , can you give me a simple
> sample for creating this door and the top panel as prism object or another
> better object?
>
> I can draw this shape from top down view in C# gdi+, but in povray I dont know
> which arguments to feed into which function.
>

> http://www.kitchendesigned.com/public_download/curved_cabinet.jpg
>
> thank you very much for all your help

You may try with the bezier_spline. With that kind of spline, each
segment is defined by 4 points. The first and last are the actual start
and end points, while the second and third are controll points that
define the direction of the segment at the end points and what you can
imagine as a stiffness factor that depend on the length of the line from
the first and second points and third and forth ones.

You can have something like this:

prism{bezier_spline 0,0.1, 20
<0,0>,<0,1>,<0,3>,<0,4>, // straight
<0,4><1,4><3,4><4,4> // straight
<4,4><4,3.5><4,3.5><4,3> // straight
<4,3>,<3.4,2.95>,<0.9,3.5>,<1,0>, // curve
<1,0>,<0,0>,<1,0>,<0,0>  // straight
pigment{rgb 1}
}

Post a reply to this message