POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : trees again Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  trees again (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: trees again
Date: 4 Aug 2010 22:10:01
Message: <web.4c5a1a6ed690cc6d9e1c416d0@news.povray.org>
I've been told, again and again, that there is no generic collision detection in
povray.  While I suppose that's true (you can't really tell if one object is
intersecting another) there's still the [trace] function, and the [inside] and
[outside] functions.

Supposing that a tree generation macro took in a location, the age of the tree,
and an array of elements to test against, how hard would it be to grow a tree in
a given location, accounting for interference from the listed elements?

If interference is deemed likely, or imminent, the limb in question (treated as
a vector) could be pruned or deflected. (this would likely be the difficult
part)

A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

> I've been told, again and again, that there is no generic collision detection in
> povray.  While I suppose that's true (you can't really tell if one object is
> intersecting another) there's still the [trace] function, and the [inside] and
> [outside] functions.
>
> Supposing that a tree generation macro took in a location, the age of the tree,
> and an array of elements to test against, how hard would it be to grow a tree in
> a given location, accounting for interference from the listed elements?
>
> If interference is deemed likely, or imminent, the limb in question (treated as
> a vector) could be pruned or deflected. (this would likely be the difficult
> part)
>
> A.D.B.

Pruning or deflecting a branch would be the easy part. The hard part is
to detect when to do so.
For each new segment, you need to check every other and test wether or
not the new one would intrude into another.

Anyway, in real life, there are uncommon cases when plants self
collide/intersect. In that case, the affected branches/roots can merge
together.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

At any rate, I'm more concerned with preventing interference with design
elements at the moment.

I've been working on an Idea that target elements could be separated into zones
of probability according to distance from the point of origin.

Without generic collision detection built into povray, collisions between
adjacent trees would be impossible to detect.

A.D.B.

Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > I've been told, again and again, that there is no generic collision detection in
> > povray.  While I suppose that's true (you can't really tell if one object is
> > intersecting another) there's still the [trace] function, and the [inside] and
> > [outside] functions.
> >
> > Supposing that a tree generation macro took in a location, the age of the tree,
> > and an array of elements to test against, how hard would it be to grow a tree in
> > a given location, accounting for interference from the listed elements?
> >
> > If interference is deemed likely, or imminent, the limb in question (treated as
> > a vector) could be pruned or deflected. (this would likely be the difficult
> > part)
> >
> > A.D.B.
> >

> Pruning or deflecting a branch would be the easy part. The hard part is
> to detect when to do so.
> For each new segment, you need to check every other and test wether or
> not the new one would intrude into another.
>
> Anyway, in real life, there are uncommon cases when plants self
> collide/intersect. In that case, the affected branches/roots can merge
> together.
>

> Alain

Post a reply to this message