POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Teaching Shapes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Teaching Shapes (Message 2 to 11 of 11)
From: Chris B
Subject: Re: Teaching Shapes
Date: 7 Jul 2009 17:10:12
Message: <4a53b9b4@news.povray.org>
"quoderatd" <quo### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for project ideas or any objects that utilizies
>
> spline-based shapes and/or polygon-based shapes.

The Rope and the Blockwall macros on the POV-Ray Object Collection both
create objects that follow splines. Maybe the images in the documentation
for them could inspire ideas for a POV-Ray project:

http://lib.povray.org/collection/blockwall/chrisb%201.1.1/blockwall.html
http://lib.povray.org/collection/rope/chrisb%201.0/rope.html

I don't think the POV-Ray polygon object is used very much. Having said
that, there are examples of it being used in the Blockwall and CurvedPaving
macros which both use polygon objects to provide a quick render option. I
think it's more common to use prism objects, which can be generated using a
linear spline to give a 3D sort of equivalent.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

"quoderatd" <quo### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I am looking for project ideas or any objects that utilizies
>
> spline-based shapes and/or polygon-based shapes.

Hm... it's "christmas in july" time in America, right? So those steel stencils
for making shaped cookies come to my mind, something like this one:

http://www.shopblogger.de/blog/uploads/dezember_05/landliebekuhkeksfoermchen.jpg

(though the shape doesn't fit the season of course; but strangely enough,
photographs of these things seem hard to find on the net - maybe they're a
typical German invention?)

Post a reply to this message

> "quoderatd" <quo### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I am looking for project ideas or any objects that utilizies
> >
> > spline-based shapes and/or polygon-based shapes.
>
> Hm... it's "christmas in july" time in America, right? So those steel stencils
> for making shaped cookies come to my mind, something like this one:
>
> http://www.shopblogger.de/blog/uploads/dezember_05/landliebekuhkeksfoermchen.jpg
>
> (though the shape doesn't fit the season of course; but strangely enough,
> photographs of these things seem hard to find on the net - maybe they're a
> typical German invention?)

The term widely used in the US is 'cookie cutter', if you search using that,
you'll find a lot of them

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message