POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sequence of images but not animation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Sequence of images but not animation (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Daniel
Subject: Sequence of images but not animation
Date: 18 Jun 2009 13:45:00
Message: <web.4a3a7a0cbf13d750d6bbb9d50@news.povray.org>
Hi. I have a povray file that has a few stuff in it, and I can use it to render
an image. One of the things is:

mesh { #include "mesh.inc" inside_vector <1, 0, 0> translate <0, -2, 0>}

, which is a file that includes a complex mesh in triangle forms.

Now I have a huge series of meshes numbered as follows:

mesh00000.inc
mesh00001.inc
mesh00002.inc

etc, all the way to about 800 or something.

How can I get a single povray file to render all images, changing the value of
the include file only for each seporate image?

serperate files. Oh, and the files should be saved as bmp format, same as the
input mesh. So mesh00000.bmp etc...

anyone?

Post a reply to this message

> Hi. I have a povray file that has a few stuff in it, and I can use it to render
> an image. One of the things is:
>
> mesh { #include "mesh.inc" inside_vector <1, 0, 0> translate <0, -2, 0>}
>
> , which is a file that includes a complex mesh in triangle forms.
>
> Now I have a huge series of meshes numbered as follows:
>
> mesh00000.inc
> mesh00001.inc
> mesh00002.inc
>
> etc, all the way to about 800 or something.
>
> How can I get a single povray file to render all images, changing the value of
> the include file only for each seporate image?
>

> serperate files. Oh, and the files should be saved as bmp format, same as the
> input mesh. So mesh00000.bmp etc...
>
> anyone?

I came across a similar problem a while ago while working on macros,
where I needed to call functions with different names depending on a
parameter. The way I got it to work, thanks to clipka, was using a
'parse literals' function:
#macro ParseLiteral(s)
   #declare ParseLiteralFile = "ParseLiteral_$$$.inc";
   #fopen ParseLiteral_FD ParseLiteralFile write
   #write (ParseLiteral_FD,s)
   #fclose ParseLiteral_FD
   #include ParseLiteralFile
#end

This would work for you by calling:
ParseLiteral(concat("#include mesh", str(MeshNumber,-5,0), ".inc"))
where 'MeshNum' is your frame number.

If you're looking to output to the animation style sequence of files,
I'd recommend treating it like an animation with the proper frame usage
(+KFI, +KFF, etc), and using the current frame number as MeshNumber.

Hope this helps, and if I'm wrong with some of the syntax that you can
figure out the idea!

CShake

Post a reply to this message

> Now I have a huge series of meshes numbered as follows:
>
> mesh00000.inc
> mesh00001.inc
> mesh00002.inc
>
> etc, all the way to about 800 or something.
>
> How can I get a single povray file to render all images, changing the value of
> the include file only for each seporate image?

If you do use POV-Ray's animation rendering mechanisms, you can include the
fitting mesh as follows:

  #local MyFrameNumberStr = substr(str(100000+frame_number,0,0),2,5);
  #local MyMeshInc = concat("mesh", MyFrameNumberStr, ".inc");
  #include MyMeshInc

Voila. The somewhat complex definition of MyFrameNumberStr serves to enforce
leading zeros.

> serperate files. Oh, and the files should be saved as bmp format, same as the
> input mesh. So mesh00000.bmp etc...

Specify the output file name as "mesh.bmp"; pretend that your frame number
ranges from 0 to 99999 (again to get those leading zeros) and just render the
subset you actually need.

The only thing is that they must all have the same resolution.

Post a reply to this message