POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy (Message 76 to 85 of 165)
From: Nicolas George
Subject: Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
Date: 15 Jul 2008 18:12:56
Message: <487d20e8@news.povray.org>
andrel  wrote in message <487### [at] hotmailcom>:
>						  If more groups do it, it
> doesn't make it less insane.

There is nothing insane about insisting on the economic part of freedom.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 15 Jul 2008 18:13:53
Message: <487D215A.2090104@hotmail.com>
On 15-Jul-08 23:51, Nicolas George wrote:
> Warp  wrote in message <487cfcb0@news.povray.org>:

> Note that the GPL is _not_ the FSF definition of software freedom. The
> Definition is:
>
> * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
> * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs.
> * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
> * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the
>   public, so that the whole community benefits.

POV-Ray conforms to all these, *and* it does not cost money. You are
leaving out the tricky parts. ;)

> Maybe you could tell us what definition you would use?

Warp will probably also give an answer, but this is what I think:
Never, ever use an existing word in a new context without quotes,
capitals or any other means to show you are redefining the meaning and
always make sure that from context it can be deduced that this new
definition is meant. So I am fine if you say that 'POV-Ray is not "Free
Software" according to the definition given at ...'. Yet you can not
abbreviate this to 'POV-Ray is not free' or even 'POV-Ray is not free
software'. You can not make a folder in a general distribution named
'free software' and claim that POV-Ray can not be there, because here
the context is lost. And always remember that what makes sense in your
country may not do so abroad.

Post a reply to this message

andrel  wrote in message <487### [at] hotmailcom>:
>> * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
> POV-Ray conforms to all these, *and* it does not cost money. You are
> leaving out the tricky parts. ;)

As far as I can read, no:

"Subject to the other terms of this license, the User is permitted to use
the Software in a profit-making enterprise, provided such profit arises
primarily from use of the Software and not from distribution of the Software
or a work including the Software in whole or part."

The freedoom to redistribute copies is encumbered of conditions.

Post a reply to this message

> "Subject to the other terms of this license, the User is permitted to use
> the Software in a profit-making enterprise, provided such profit arises
> primarily from use of the Software and not from distribution of the Software
> or a work including the Software in whole or part."

> The freedoom to redistribute copies is encumbered of conditions.

  So, demanding that if you re-distribute the software you must do it
for free makes it a non-free software. Right.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message