POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: andrel
Date: 15 Jul 2008 18:13:53
Message: <487D215A.2090104@hotmail.com>
On 15-Jul-08 23:51, Nicolas George wrote:
> Warp  wrote in message <487cfcb0@news.povray.org>:

> Note that the GPL is _not_ the FSF definition of software freedom. The
> Definition is:
>
> * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
> * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs.
> * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
> * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the
>   public, so that the whole community benefits.

POV-Ray conforms to all these, *and* it does not cost money. You are
leaving out the tricky parts. ;)

> Maybe you could tell us what definition you would use?

Warp will probably also give an answer, but this is what I think:
Never, ever use an existing word in a new context without quotes,
capitals or any other means to show you are redefining the meaning and
always make sure that from context it can be deduced that this new
definition is meant. So I am fine if you say that 'POV-Ray is not "Free
Software" according to the definition given at ...'. Yet you can not
abbreviate this to 'POV-Ray is not free' or even 'POV-Ray is not free
software'. You can not make a folder in a general distribution named
'free software' and claim that POV-Ray can not be there, because here
the context is lost. And always remember that what makes sense in your
country may not do so abroad.