POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: andrel
Date: 16 Jul 2008 01:55:16
Message: <487D8D7D.2090501@hotmail.com>
On 16-Jul-08 0:36, Nicolas George wrote:
> andrel  wrote in message <487### [at] hotmailcom>:
>>> * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
>> POV-Ray conforms to all these, *and* it does not cost money. You are
>> leaving out the tricky parts. ;)
>
> As far as I can read, no:
which should have been: 'As far as I can read it did leave out the
tricky part, yes:' ;)

> "Subject to the other terms of this license, the User is permitted to use
> the Software in a profit-making enterprise, provided such profit arises
> primarily from use of the Software and not from distribution of the Software
> or a work including the Software in whole or part."
>
> The freedoom to redistribute copies is encumbered of conditions.

I don't know about you but when I help my neighbor I don't usually ask
money for it. Indeed this precisely the tricky bit you left out. You are
not restricted in your freedom to redistribute copies, provided you are
not charging for it. (yes I know we use a slightly different meaning of
freedom here, but that may be cultural)