POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy (Message 31 to 40 of 165)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
Date: 14 Jul 2008 16:00:04
Message: <487BB07D.2070403@hotmail.com>
On 14-Jul-08 9:54, Nicolas George wrote:
> andrel  wrote in message <487### [at] hotmailcom>:
>> No, it is used in various subscenes differently.
>
> That is true, but most uses differ only on details, and agree on the major
> points, and in particular the right to re-distribute modified versions for a
> fee.

I wasn't aware of that, i.e. I have apparently not been a member of a
major subscene of computer users. So, for these people POV-Ray is not a
free program because there is no way you can sell it? Reminds me of that
story that Obama is not black because his parents are born in Africa.
Absolutely counterintuitive but true for a particular definition of
'free' resp. 'black'. Well, you live and learn.

Post a reply to this message

> I wasn't aware of that, i.e. I have apparently not been a member of a
> major subscene of computer users. So, for these people POV-Ray is not a
> free program because there is no way you can sell it?

  To them "free" means "you can sell it for a price". And they don't see
any contradiction in that.

  Anyways, another issue they have is that you can't take portions of
the POV-Ray source code and use them in a different program.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message