POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: andrel
Date: 14 Jul 2008 16:00:04
Message: <487BB07D.2070403@hotmail.com>
On 14-Jul-08 9:54, Nicolas George wrote:
> andrel  wrote in message <487### [at] hotmailcom>:
>> No, it is used in various subscenes differently.
>
> That is true, but most uses differ only on details, and agree on the major
> points, and in particular the right to re-distribute modified versions for a
> fee.

I wasn't aware of that, i.e. I have apparently not been a member of a
major subscene of computer users. So, for these people POV-Ray is not a
free program because there is no way you can sell it? Reminds me of that
story that Obama is not black because his parents are born in Africa.
Absolutely counterintuitive but true for a particular definition of
'free' resp. 'black'. Well, you live and learn.