POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sqrt() and rotate goofiness? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Sqrt() and rotate goofiness? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: How Camp
Subject: Sqrt() and rotate goofiness?
Date: 9 Jul 2008 13:45:00
Message: <web.4874f7aec23a6d9c59235590@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to understand how I'm screwing this up.  I'm running POV v 3.6 on
WinXP, and I'm confused as to why it crashes when using the code below...

I've marked 3 lines to play with.  If I uncomment any combination of these lines
things work fine EXCEPT if Line #3 is uncommented all alone.  Then, POV throws
an unhandled exception and needs to be reloaded.

Lines #1 and #2 are the essentially the same math as #3, except I've split the
position and the rotation of the sphere up.  Why does it choke on the
combination of the two, but not on the single operations?

#version 3.6;
camera {location 10*y  look_at 0}
light_source {<-30, 30, -30> color rgb <1, 1, 1> }

#declare ii = 0;
#declare X0 = 0;
#declare X1 = 1;

#while (ii <= 360)
   #declare ii = ii + 1;
   #declare X1 = X1 + X0;
   #declare X0 = X1 - X0;

   //sphere{<sqrt(X0),0,0>, 0.1 pigment{rgb 1}            } // Line #1
   //sphere{<       1,0,0>, 0.1 pigment{rgb 1} rotate ii*y} // Line #2
   //sphere{<sqrt(X0),0,0>, 0.1 pigment{rgb 1} rotate ii*y} // Line #3

#end

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to understand how I'm screwing this up.  I'm running POV v 3.6 on
> WinXP, and I'm confused as to why it crashes when using the code below...

  It doesn't crash here. However, I wonder if the problem might be in
that X0 is getting *huge* values.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message