POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sqrt() and rotate goofiness? : Re: Sqrt() and rotate goofiness? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sqrt() and rotate goofiness?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 10 Jul 2008 01:08:27
Message: <r6KxsaBbeZdIFwkL@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it How Camp who wrote:
>Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>   It doesn't crash here. However, I wonder if the problem might be in
>> that X0 is getting *huge* values.
>
>Heh, I agree that the values are silly.  But I don't understand why those exact
>same values are accepted for both Lines #1 and #2, but not #3.  Where exactly
>are the large values screwing things up?

It's clearly in the processing of the automatic bounding slabs.

Perhaps rounding errors are causing some of the bounding slabs to have
negative volume. If the rotation calculations are accurate to 1 part in
10^26 then that error could be larger than 0.1, the radius of the
sphere. I tried to check out this theory by looking at max_extents and
min_extents, but they seem to only return 6 digit accuracy, so the
interesting spheres all appear have volume zero.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure