POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make gears ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  How to make gears ? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Xanthra
Subject: How to make gears ?
Date: 11 Jun 2008 22:10:00
Message: <web.48508434de202a8064dcb43c0@news.povray.org>
I've been struggling with this for a while and not having any luck.
Google shows that there used to be some includes and macros in the links pages
that could generate gears, but they all seem to be long gone.

Would anyone here be able to share how one might make realistic looking gears
with
POV-Ray ?  I've read up on hobbing and involute geometry, but I can't figure out
how to translate that into SDL : (

Thanks,
-X

Post a reply to this message

Here is the Gears.inc file I came up with a while back. All you need do is
include it (obviously) abd call the Gear() macro passing the number of teeth
as a parameter. You can then scale, rotate etc the result.

Rarius

"Xanthra" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> I've been struggling with this for a while and not having any luck.
> Google shows that there used to be some includes and macros in the links
> pages
> that could generate gears, but they all seem to be long gone.
>
> Would anyone here be able to share how one might make realistic looking
> gears
> with
> POV-Ray ?  I've read up on hobbing and involute geometry, but I can't
> figure out
> how to translate that into SDL : (
>
> Thanks,
> -X

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gears.inc.txt' (4 KB)

> I've been struggling with this for a while and not having any luck.
> Google shows that there used to be some includes and macros in the links pages
> that could generate gears, but they all seem to be long gone.
>
> Would anyone here be able to share how one might make realistic looking gears
> with
> POV-Ray ?  I've read up on hobbing and involute geometry, but I can't figure out
> how to translate that into SDL : (
>
> Thanks,
> -X

Well I guess I answered my own question eventually : )
For some reason the web gui won't let me include an attachment ; (

Where could I post my include file so other people can use it?

Post a reply to this message

"Rarius" <rar### [at] rariuscouk> wrote:
> Here is the Gears.inc file I came up with a while back. All you need do is
> include it (obviously) abd call the Gear() macro passing the number of teeth
> as a parameter. You can then scale, rotate etc the result.

I forgot to thank you for this include file.
I've never quite been able to figure it out, but it motivated me to try to learn
how to cut usable gears IRL and in SDL.

Thanks,
-X

Post a reply to this message

>> I've been struggling with this for a while and not having any luck.
>> Google shows that there used to be some includes and macros in the links pages
>> that could generate gears, but they all seem to be long gone.
>>
>> Would anyone here be able to share how one might make realistic looking gears
>> with
>> POV-Ray ?  I've read up on hobbing and involute geometry, but I can't figure out
>> how to translate that into SDL : (
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -X
>
> Well I guess I answered my own question eventually : )
> For some reason the web gui won't let me include an attachment ; (
>
> Where could I post my include file so other people can use it?

This group is not a binaries one. Use a binaries one.

Alain