POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : blender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  blender (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Jan Dvorak
Subject: Re: blender
Date: 7 Jun 2008 11:59:21
Message: <484ab059$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott napsal(a):
> [...]
> alp### [at] zubenelgenubi34spcom says...
>> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
>>> Hmm. I'll have to try that. Though, on most mice the middle button is
>>> also the "scroll", which makes it damn hard to use for anything...
>>> Thanks for the tip.
>> Not convinced you're both talking about the same thing (you can rotate the
>> camera around objects, right?), but those control settings at least are
>> configurable.
>>
>> Edit menu >> Preferences... >> Camera tab, then the Camera mode box changes
>> which buttons control rotation and how rotation behaves by offering you a
>> choice of modes taken from other packages.
>>
>> I use Blender mode (hold down middle mouse and drag to rotate), although I can't
>> remember if Blender mouse control actually does behave like that. You can see
>> how the camera responds to the mouse in a particular camera mode by checking
>> the status bar at the bottom of the display when nothing's selected. For
>> example, in Maya mode you'll see:
>>
>> L: Select  [Alt]+L: Tumble  [Alt]+M: Track  [Alt]+R: Dolly  R: Show menu
>>
>> If you want to keep the middle mouse wheel for zoom and don't want to use the
>> middle mouse button for rotation or whatever, you can set "Mouse buttons" to 2
>> in the drop-down list on the Camera preferences tab. You'll only be able to use
>> Blender and Nendo modes with two buttons (Nendo mode is quite unusual compared
>> to most other 3D apps).
>>
>> Tom
>
> Found the problem actually. I use a Logitech mouse and automatically set
> it up to use middle = double click. Never changes it back to, "just act
> as a middle button", after finding how big a pain in the ass trying to
> use the mouse wheel was. lol
>
> Sadly, I have discovered that I "hate" the sculpting tool, which is what
> I needed to use in it. For simple objects with "roughly" similar
> dimensions in all directions, or where you can add more geometry, its
> great. For cases where you need to have a "fixed" number of acceptable
> vertices, and you can't break them apart to move them around, you kind
> of run into a problem... I have "no" clue how some of these people make
> one prim fracking dragons with these sorts of tools, unless they
> manually edit every single point on the mesh. Using sculpt to just make
> a butterfly wing resulted in so many points getting "stretched" past
> their usable locations that the view in Blender showed literal holes in
> the mesh, and there was no easy way to both a) select the points you
> want to move, and b) make the other points "stretch" and "follow", to
> form the correct design. I badly wish there was some sort of, "Stretch
> object to fit closed polyline" function, or something. So, you know, you
> draw the outer edge of the object, then it "fits" the selected line
> around the sphere, etc., to the polyline. Silly sort of time savers like
> that, for those of is without infinite patience and any clue. lol

You can create a curve object and convert it into a mesh object to close
manually.

--
You know you've been raytracing too long when...
you ever saw a beautiful scenery and regretted not to take your 6"

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jun 2008 23:51:26
Message: <MPG.22b505813bd13abc98a16a@news.povray.org>
In article <484ab059$1@news.povray.org>, jan### [at] centrumcz says...
> Patrick Elliott napsal(a):
> > Sadly, I have discovered that I "hate" the sculpting tool, which is wha
> > I needed to use in it. For simple objects with "roughly" similar
> > dimensions in all directions, or where you can add more geometry, its

> > great. For cases where you need to have a "fixed" number of acceptable

> > vertices, and you can't break them apart to move them around, you kind

> > of run into a problem... I have "no" clue how some of these people make

> > one prim fracking dragons with these sorts of tools, unless they
> > manually edit every single point on the mesh. Using sculpt to just make

> > a butterfly wing resulted in so many points getting "stretched" past
> > their usable locations that the view in Blender showed literal holes in

> > the mesh, and there was no easy way to both a) select the points you
> > want to move, and b) make the other points "stretch" and "follow", to

> > form the correct design. I badly wish there was some sort of, "Stretch

> > object to fit closed polyline" function, or something. So, you know, yo
> > draw the outer edge of the object, then it "fits" the selected line
> > around the sphere, etc., to the polyline. Silly sort of time savers lik
> > that, for those of is without infinite patience and any clue. lol
> >
> You can create a curve object and convert it into a mesh object to close

> manually.

I am sure you can. The problem is, the imported meshes are "designed" to
have the exact number of control points, in the correct geometry, to
generate the displacement maps used in Second Life. If you use more than
that, there is no way to know "which" points are actually going to
translate, and if you use the wrong number, it breaks completely. So..
To do that, you would need to make such an line, loft a curved object
from it, and build, section by section, the "exact" number of correct
lines and points to generate the "same" number of correct controls. And,
having done that, you *still* have to a) make sure you don't have any
odd normals which will invert the final result (i.e., dents instead of
bumps, etc.), b) hope that you didn't link something wrong, so that the
export tool doesn't actually misread where certain things are, and c)
hope that the result "actually" matches what you intended. Note, both A
and B are even problem you can already get in POV-Ray, like having a
normal pointing 180 degrees the wrong way, though the effect is less
extreme. Even the existing tools can't make maps that look 100% like the
ones in the 3D app you edit with. Its a serious pain.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: kike
Date: 9 Jun 2008 05:15:00
Message: <web.484cf4043e9934c9be7bfb550@news.povray.org>
Thanks all for your opinions, very usefull!!!

The thing is that I have arrived to Blender for several reasons. One is that it
is free (I cant afford 3ds) but the main reason is that it is supposed to do
things I can not do with Pov, Wings of Moray.

It is driving me crazy to learn how to do with Blender the things I know how to
do with those programs. I'm trying to do just simple things, texturing,
lightning and so on and for the moment it is quite difficult to get similar
results. I dont understand yafray either HOLY SHI..!!!

My aim is to animate a human-like guy and I wanted to learn to use things like
armatures (skeletons) and as far as I know that is nearly impossible with the
tools I know how to use.

So I have set myself a rule. Forget about Pov for a few months, try to reset my
brain and learn to use Blender. I know its going to be a nightmare, but I want
at least to try...

If I succeed I'm going to write a tutorial of Blender focused in people who
comes from pov, a kind of logbook!!!

Thanks!!!

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Jun 2008 08:04:20
Message: <484d1c44$1@news.povray.org>
"kike" <dry### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> Thanks all for your opinions, very usefull!!!
>
> The thing is that I have arrived to Blender for several reasons. One is
> that it
> is free (I cant afford 3ds) but the main reason is that it is supposed to
> do
> things I can not do with Pov, Wings of Moray.
>
> It is driving me crazy to learn how to do with Blender the things I know
> how to
> do with those programs. I'm trying to do just simple things, texturing,
> lightning and so on and for the moment it is quite difficult to get
> similar
> results. I dont understand yafray either HOLY SHI..!!!
>
> My aim is to animate a human-like guy and I wanted to learn to use things
> like
> armatures (skeletons) and as far as I know that is nearly impossible with
> the
> tools I know how to use.
>
> So I have set myself a rule. Forget about Pov for a few months, try to
> reset my
> brain and learn to use Blender. I know its going to be a nightmare, but I
> want
> at least to try...
>
> If I succeed I'm going to write a tutorial of Blender focused in people
> who
> comes from pov, a kind of logbook!!!
>
> Thanks!!!

Just for the record, and because I am a very enthousiastic user, you may
consider Silo. http://nevercenter.com/
It is very powerful, very easy to use, and very affordable in terms of
price. It does not provide skeletons at this stage, but if I remember
correctly that is something coming along.

Thomas