POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : blender : Re: blender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blender
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jun 2008 23:51:26
Message: <MPG.22b505813bd13abc98a16a@news.povray.org>
In article <484ab059$1@news.povray.org>, jan### [at] centrumcz says...
> Patrick Elliott napsal(a):
> > Sadly, I have discovered that I "hate" the sculpting tool, which is wha
> > I needed to use in it. For simple objects with "roughly" similar
> > dimensions in all directions, or where you can add more geometry, its

> > great. For cases where you need to have a "fixed" number of acceptable

> > vertices, and you can't break them apart to move them around, you kind

> > of run into a problem... I have "no" clue how some of these people make

> > one prim fracking dragons with these sorts of tools, unless they
> > manually edit every single point on the mesh. Using sculpt to just make

> > a butterfly wing resulted in so many points getting "stretched" past
> > their usable locations that the view in Blender showed literal holes in

> > the mesh, and there was no easy way to both a) select the points you
> > want to move, and b) make the other points "stretch" and "follow", to

> > form the correct design. I badly wish there was some sort of, "Stretch

> > object to fit closed polyline" function, or something. So, you know, yo
> > draw the outer edge of the object, then it "fits" the selected line
> > around the sphere, etc., to the polyline. Silly sort of time savers lik
> > that, for those of is without infinite patience and any clue. lol
> >
> You can create a curve object and convert it into a mesh object to close

> manually.

I am sure you can. The problem is, the imported meshes are "designed" to
have the exact number of control points, in the correct geometry, to
generate the displacement maps used in Second Life. If you use more than
that, there is no way to know "which" points are actually going to
translate, and if you use the wrong number, it breaks completely. So..
To do that, you would need to make such an line, loft a curved object
from it, and build, section by section, the "exact" number of correct
lines and points to generate the "same" number of correct controls. And,
having done that, you *still* have to a) make sure you don't have any
odd normals which will invert the final result (i.e., dents instead of
bumps, etc.), b) hope that you didn't link something wrong, so that the
export tool doesn't actually misread where certain things are, and c)
hope that the result "actually" matches what you intended. Note, both A
and B are even problem you can already get in POV-Ray, like having a
normal pointing 180 degrees the wrong way, though the effect is less
extreme. Even the existing tools can't make maps that look 100% like the
ones in the 3D app you edit with. Its a serious pain.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();