POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rock faces Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Rock faces (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Aarqon
Subject: Rock faces
Date: 19 May 2008 19:55:00
Message: <web.4832125f33712916eb86c0c0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to do a sort of recreation of the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, but I'm
having trouble making the rock faces look like rocks. I need something that
will produce a hewn stone shape, something smooth but irregular. With the
shapes I used, I can't seem to attach said properties.

Would heightfields work?
Anything else?

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to do a sort of recreation of the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, but I'm
> having trouble making the rock faces look like rocks. I need something that
> will produce a hewn stone shape, something smooth but irregular. With the
> shapes I used, I can't seem to attach said properties.
>
> Would heightfields work?
> Anything else?

I would suggest a bozo pigment of varying greys scaled down really small.  If
this doesn't work quite well, then I would suggest trying to add a bozo normal
that is too scalled small.

try this:

texture
       {
       pigment{ bozo color_map{[0 rgb 0.6][0.3 rgb 0.4][0.7 rgb 0.7][1 rgb 0.6]}
scale 0.01}
       normal{bozo 0.1 scale 0.01}
       }

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to do a sort of recreation of the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, but I'm
> having trouble making the rock faces look like rocks. I need something that
> will produce a hewn stone shape, something smooth but irregular. With the
> shapes I used, I can't seem to attach said properties.
>
> Would heightfields work?
> Anything else?

Would Bill Pragnells Weathered Objects macros help?

http://tinyurl.com/3r2dnk

Post a reply to this message

From: Aarqon
Date: 28 May 2008 12:35:01
Message: <web.483d88ec9c3d34efbc52d3e20@news.povray.org>
"Nimish Ajmani" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Aarqon" <aar### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I'm trying to do a sort of recreation of the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, but I'm
> > having trouble making the rock faces look like rocks. I need something that
> > will produce a hewn stone shape, something smooth but irregular. With the
> > shapes I used, I can't seem to attach said properties.
> >
> > Would heightfields work?
> > Anything else?
>
> I would suggest a bozo pigment of varying greys scaled down really small.  If
> this doesn't work quite well, then I would suggest trying to add a bozo normal
> that is too scalled small.
>
> try this:
>
> texture
>        {
>        pigment{ bozo color_map{[0 rgb 0.6][0.3 rgb 0.4][0.7 rgb 0.7][1 rgb 0.6]}
> scale 0.01}
>        normal{bozo 0.1 scale 0.01}
>        }

I didn't know you could use textures as normals.
Will changing the normal actually change the object, or will it just make it
look different (like when you use bumps?)

Anywhoo, I'll try this out and report back.

You know you've been doing POV-Ray too long if you wonder how many layers God
used to pigment the universe.

Post a reply to this message

From: Aarqon
Date: 28 May 2008 12:40:00
Message: <web.483d8a089c3d34efbc52d3e20@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Aarqon wrote:
> > I'm trying to do a sort of recreation of the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, but I'm
> > having trouble making the rock faces look like rocks. I need something that
> > will produce a hewn stone shape, something smooth but irregular. With the
> > shapes I used, I can't seem to attach said properties.
> >
> > Would heightfields work?
> > Anything else?
> >

> Would Bill Pragnells Weathered Objects macros help?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3r2dnk

Well, the stone isn't weathered, its tooled, but this looks helpful for later,
thanks!

From: Alain
Date: 28 May 2008 15:01:24
Message: <483dac04$1@news.povray.org>
Aarqon nous illumina en ce 2008-05-28 12:31 -->
> "Nimish Ajmani" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> "Aarqon" <aar### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to do a sort of recreation of the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, but I'm
>>> having trouble making the rock faces look like rocks. I need something that
>>> will produce a hewn stone shape, something smooth but irregular. With the
>>> shapes I used, I can't seem to attach said properties.
>>>
>>> Would heightfields work?
>>> Anything else?
>> I would suggest a bozo pigment of varying greys scaled down really small.  If
>> this doesn't work quite well, then I would suggest trying to add a bozo normal
>> that is too scalled small.
>>
>> try this:
>>
>> texture
>>        {
>>        pigment{ bozo color_map{[0 rgb 0.6][0.3 rgb 0.4][0.7 rgb 0.7][1 rgb 0.6]}
>> scale 0.01}
>>        normal{bozo 0.1 scale 0.01}
>>        }
>
> I didn't know you could use textures as normals.
> Will changing the normal actually change the object, or will it just make it
> look different (like when you use bumps?)
>
> Anywhoo, I'll try this out and report back.
>
> You know you've been doing POV-Ray too long if you wonder how many layers God
> used to pigment the universe.

Normals never affect the actual shape of the object, just the aspect of it's
surface.
If you want to affect the actual shape of the object, you need to use an
isosurface or a mesh and use the pigment to push the surface in or out. If you
use an isosurface, you add or substract the pigment to the function(s) that is
used to deffine your object.

--
Alain
Seventh Day Adventism: No shit shall happen on Saturday.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 28 May 2008 19:50:23
Message: <483defbf@news.povray.org>
Aarqon wrote:
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>Aarqon wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to do a sort of recreation of the Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, but I'm
>>>having trouble making the rock faces look like rocks. I need something that
>>>will produce a hewn stone shape, something smooth but irregular. With the
>>>shapes I used, I can't seem to attach said properties.
>>>
>>>Would heightfields work?
>>>Anything else?
>>>

>>Would Bill Pragnells Weathered Objects macros help?
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/3r2dnk
>

> Well, the stone isn't weathered, its tooled, but this looks helpful for later,
> thanks!

You might find a crackle pattern form <1,0,0> gives a reasonable
simulation of a punch chisel

Post a reply to this message

From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 28 May 2008 23:42:54
Message: <483e263e$1@news.povray.org>
Aarqon napsal(a):
> You know you've been doing POV-Ray too long if you wonder how many layers God
> used to pigment the universe.

Actually, it's a very dense media

--
You know you've been raytracing too long when...
you refresh your inbox after sending a message