POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? (Message 12 to 21 of 31)
From: Arttu Voutilainen
Subject: Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do?
Date: 27 Mar 2008 15:28:09
Message: <47ec0359@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>> Actually, I like the idea. I've wanted to learn more about Linux for a

>> while
>> now.
>
>   I can recommend that: learning is always a Good Thing.
>
>> Can the Linux 64 and XP-Pro 32 live happily on the same machine? (I
>> can't afford
>> a second machine right now.) ... a second partition? ... a second hard

>> drive?
>
>  AFAIK, there is no reason to think that they will interfere with each

> other. Indeed a second hard drive could be easier to manage at install

> time than partitions. The only problem I could think about is sharing
> files between XP and Linux: I didn't check recently, but I remember the

> NTFS support on Linux was read-only when I tried some years ago.

It was, but nowdays ntfs-3g provides support for writing too. I'm not
sure if it's claimed to be perfectly safe, but at least it has worked
for me so far.

Also IIRC you should be able to get Windows support linux's filesystems
(at least ext3 or 2, or both), but I never managed to get that working.
The drivers just crashed for me every time I tried.. According to Eero
it should be possible, though.

-- Arttu Voutilainen

Post a reply to this message