POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dynamic memory possible? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  dynamic memory possible? (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Gunnar
Subject: dynamic memory possible?
Date: 4 Jun 2007 06:30:02
Message: <web.4663e8a8e799405a678ea4f80@news.povray.org>
Hello there,
I hope you understand my question, it's directly translated from German...
;)

I have a file with some coordinates I want to store in an array. Since I
don't know how to store in an array that was not defined before I do this:
--------------------------------------
#fopen fsbsp "124440_ACR.txt" read
#declare fs_count = 0;
#while(defined(fsbsp))
  #read (fsbsp,utm_x,utm_y,utm_z)
  #declare fs_count = fs_count+1;
#end
#debug concat("fs_count     ", str(fs_count, 0,0),"n")

#declare a_pos = array[fs_count];

#fopen a_pos_f "124440_ACR.txt" read
#declare fs_count2 = 0;
#while(defined(a_pos_f))
  #read (a_pos_f,utm_x,utm_y,utm_z)
  #declare a_pos[fs_count2] = <utm_x,utm_y,utm_z>;
  #declare fs_count2 = fs_count2 + 1;
#end
--------------------------------------
Here's what this does:
- opens the file and "counts" the rows
- closes the file (#while(defined(...)))
- defines the array
- opens the file again
- reads and stores values
- closes the file again

Is there any possibility to do this without opening and reading the file
twice? I know Java can do dynamic memory (if that's what it is called), but
POV?

Thanks in advance
Gunnar

Post a reply to this message

Why did you open the same file under 2 differents name ?

> Hello there,
> I hope you understand my question, it's directly translated from German...
> ;)
>
> I have a file with some coordinates I want to store in an array. Since I
> don't know how to store in an array that was not defined before I do this:
> --------------------------------------
> #fopen fsbsp "124440_ACR.txt" read
> #declare fs_count = 0;
> #while(defined(fsbsp))
>   #read (fsbsp,utm_x,utm_y,utm_z)
>   #declare fs_count = fs_count+1;
> #end
> #debug concat("fs_count     ", str(fs_count, 0,0),"n")
>
> #declare a_pos = array[fs_count];
>
> #fopen a_pos_f "124440_ACR.txt" read
> #declare fs_count2 = 0;
> #while(defined(a_pos_f))
>   #read (a_pos_f,utm_x,utm_y,utm_z)
>   #declare a_pos[fs_count2] = <utm_x,utm_y,utm_z>;
>   #declare fs_count2 = fs_count2 + 1;
> #end
> --------------------------------------
> Here's what this does:
> - opens the file and "counts" the rows
> - closes the file (#while(defined(...)))
> - defines the array
> - opens the file again
> - reads and stores values
> - closes the file again
>
> Is there any possibility to do this without opening and reading the file
> twice? I know Java can do dynamic memory (if that's what it is called),
but
> POV?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Gunnar