POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dynamic memory possible? : dynamic memory possible? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  dynamic memory possible?
From: Gunnar
Date: 4 Jun 2007 06:30:02
Message: <web.4663e8a8e799405a678ea4f80@news.povray.org>
Hello there,
I hope you understand my question, it's directly translated from German...
;)

I have a file with some coordinates I want to store in an array. Since I
don't know how to store in an array that was not defined before I do this:
--------------------------------------
#fopen fsbsp "124440_ACR.txt" read
#declare fs_count = 0;
#while(defined(fsbsp))
  #read (fsbsp,utm_x,utm_y,utm_z)
  #declare fs_count = fs_count+1;
#end
#debug concat("fs_count     ", str(fs_count, 0,0),"n")

#declare a_pos = array[fs_count];

#fopen a_pos_f "124440_ACR.txt" read
#declare fs_count2 = 0;
#while(defined(a_pos_f))
  #read (a_pos_f,utm_x,utm_y,utm_z)
  #declare a_pos[fs_count2] = <utm_x,utm_y,utm_z>;
  #declare fs_count2 = fs_count2 + 1;
#end
--------------------------------------
Here's what this does:
- opens the file and "counts" the rows
- closes the file (#while(defined(...)))
- defines the array
- opens the file again
- reads and stores values
- closes the file again

Is there any possibility to do this without opening and reading the file
twice? I know Java can do dynamic memory (if that's what it is called), but
POV?

Thanks in advance
Gunnar