POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dynamic memory possible? : Re: dynamic memory possible? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dynamic memory possible?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 4 Jun 2007 15:57:25
Message: <46646ea5$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> If the data in the file isn't changing very often it might be worth running
> a loop to count the lines, then write a new data file with the array size
> as a header (maybe from a macro or a separate scene file). Then subsequent
> test renders etc with the same data can read the header and create an array
> with the correct size.
>
> But maybe that's not convenient... :-)

Yeah, not very self-contained though.  I preliminary counting read is of
course what he is already doing and wants to improve on.  Probably the
best solution would be to write the array declaration to an include file
right from POV. But there are lots of solutions, my guess is he is just
casting around for options, so hence my original answer to his question.