POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : comma separated value file for data input Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:41:02 EDT (-0400)
  comma separated value file for data input (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Eric
Subject: comma separated value file for data input
Date: 10 Feb 2007 02:00:05
Message: <web.45cd67c8a7d38e577fa0baee0@news.povray.org>
Although far from new to POV-Ray (programmed first rendering in about 1996),
I am an infrequent user and thus a novice.  Right now I'm returning to it to
produce some 3D statistical graphs.  It would be really convenient for me
read data in from some sort of two-dimensional data file (a table).  Comma
separated value files (.CSV) are commonly used for this.  Is there any
convenient way to read a CSV file into some sort of data container (an
array of arrays? or can MATRIX be used other than for transforms?)

Thanks!
-Eric

Post a reply to this message

> Although far from new to POV-Ray (programmed first rendering in about 1996),
> I am an infrequent user and thus a novice.  Right now I'm returning to it to
> produce some 3D statistical graphs.  It would be really convenient for me
> read data in from some sort of two-dimensional data file (a table).  Comma
> separated value files (.CSV) are commonly used for this.  Is there any
> convenient way to read a CSV file into some sort of data container (an
> array of arrays? or can MATRIX be used other than for transforms?)

Yes, and it's pretty much straight-away what you said, minus the arrays of
arrays.  I don't think you can really do arrays of arrays per se where
lengths or types may vary etc, but you can certainly do multi-dimensional
arrays up to 5D.  Here's a 1D example:

#fopen StatsFile "Stats.csv" read
#local Ctr = 0;
#local Limit = 150; //assuming you know how long it is
#declare StatsArray = array[Limit];
#while(Ctr < Limit)
  #read(StatsFile, StatsArray[Ctr])
  #local Ctr = Ctr + 1;
#end //end while

Or something like that....  I didn't test it for mistakes/typos.  Hope it
helps.
Charles

Post a reply to this message