POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My hat is off to all of you! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  My hat is off to all of you! (Message 21 to 30 of 43)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: My hat is off to all of you!
Date: 5 Nov 2006 18:19:31
Message: <454e7183$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schreef in bericht
>>  Those are very valuable history of POV-Ray and thus a must to preserve.
>>

> I agree to that. Isn't there (shouldn't there be) some kind of historical
> repository?

There are some old HOF-images here:

ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Hall-Of-Fame/

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Art Flint
Date: 5 Nov 2006 20:56:45
Message: <454e965d$1@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schreef in bericht
>>
>>>  Those are very valuable history of POV-Ray and thus a must to preserve.
>>>

>> I agree to that. Isn't there (shouldn't there be) some kind of historical
>> repository?
>>

> There are some old HOF-images here:
>
> ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Hall-Of-Fame/

Thanks for pointing out that link, it brought back many memories.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 6 Nov 2006 19:02:38
Message: <454fcd1e$1@news.povray.org>
Dan Farmer wrote:
> Actually, I downloaded it a couple of years ago, but I don't think it had
> changed much, if at all.  I sure miss Tim Wegner.  Once again, has anybody
> heard from HIM?  He visited me here in Minnesota about a dozen years ago
> when his daughter was attending school here.  Wonderful guy!

I exchanged email with him last year - he still has an interest in POV and
fractals;)

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 6 Nov 2006 19:03:27
Message: <454fcd4f$1@news.povray.org>
mil01 wrote:
> Just one thing, where can I find some information on povray's
> team,developement and future ? :-)

we don't really have anything formal in terms of a definitive guide,
unfortunately.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Nov 2006 08:11:23
Message: <455085fb$1@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> schreef in bericht

> There are some old HOF-images here:
>
> ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Hall-Of-Fame/

Hey! That's nice!! Thanks you very much indeed :-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Farmer
Date: 7 Nov 2006 19:05:00
Message: <web.45511efecdd2e8604f37ee910@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > http://www.nationaltheatre.org/art/MillerMikeLaptop100h.jpg
> >
> > does anyone know if it's the same guy?
>
> unless he's changed quite a lot, I don't think that's him (though it's hard
> to tell at that size).
>
> -- Chris

DEFINATELY NOT the same guy!  Not that I ever met him or saw a picture of
him.  But somehow I'm sure that couldn't be Mike.

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Farmer
Date: 7 Nov 2006 19:10:01
Message: <web.45511f95cdd2e8604f37ee910@news.povray.org>
> your post has excellent timing too, I am about to release a build today that
> has experimental real-time raytracing support, this is a first for us (apart
> from the easter egg). you may want to check out my post on the subject later
> on today.

Actually, I'm waiting for the multi-core processor version, now that I have
a dual-core.  But man!... real-time raytracing?  Who'd have dreamed of it
back when we first started this stuff?

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Farmer
Date: 7 Nov 2006 19:15:01
Message: <web.45512061cdd2e8604f37ee910@news.povray.org>
> There are some old HOF-images here:
>
> ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Hall-Of-Fame/

So cool!  Thanks, Tor.  You can bet that I'll be spending some time there
tonight!

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 Nov 2006 19:23:49
Message: <45512395@news.povray.org>
Dan Farmer <dmf### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Actually, I'm waiting for the multi-core processor version, now that I have
> a dual-core.  But man!... real-time raytracing?  Who'd have dreamed of it
> back when we first started this stuff?

<nitpicking>
  Of course it all comes down to the *definition* of "real-time" raytracing.
  If the only requirement is that the program is able to render a simple
scene at more than about 5 fps, the POV-Ray 3.6 could already do that in
a fast PC. What 3.7 does is to add SMP support (for using multiple processors)
and removing the repeated parsing. This means that more complex scenes can
be rendered at higher speeds.
  It's not so much that "real-time raytracing is now possible" as more like
"it's now possible to raytrace animations with a moving camera faster than
before".
</nitpicking>

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Farmer
Date: 7 Nov 2006 19:35:01
Message: <web.45512574cdd2e8604f37ee910@news.povray.org>
> Doug is also a 1970's graduate from CCAD
> (http://www.ccad.edu/alumni10-1970s.htm), like Mike, and knows povray and
> worked with Mike on a studio called "Head Spin Studios", which was headed
> by Mike according to http://moca.virtual.museum/miller.htm.
>
> here's proof, from Doug's previous (?) site:
> http://www.highenergygraphics.com/hienergy.php?stream=&fileID=49
>
> look at the cup logo.
>
> many coincidences?  or just too much assumptions?... :))

I think that you just may have found something.  The "Head Spin Studios"
name seems to ring a vague bell, and anyone would have to agree that the
cup logo sure looks like Mike's style.  I just shot off an email to Doug
Miller asking him if he knew anything.  Perhaps a relative of Mike's?