POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My hat is off to all of you! : Re: My hat is off to all of you! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My hat is off to all of you!
From: Warp
Date: 7 Nov 2006 19:23:49
Message: <45512395@news.povray.org>
Dan Farmer <dmf### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Actually, I'm waiting for the multi-core processor version, now that I have
> a dual-core.  But man!... real-time raytracing?  Who'd have dreamed of it
> back when we first started this stuff?

<nitpicking>
  Of course it all comes down to the *definition* of "real-time" raytracing.
  If the only requirement is that the program is able to render a simple
scene at more than about 5 fps, the POV-Ray 3.6 could already do that in
a fast PC. What 3.7 does is to add SMP support (for using multiple processors)
and removing the repeated parsing. This means that more complex scenes can
be rendered at higher speeds.
  It's not so much that "real-time raytracing is now possible" as more like
"it's now possible to raytrace animations with a moving camera faster than
before".
</nitpicking>

--
                                                          - Warp