POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature suggestion: random streams Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Feature suggestion: random streams (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Brian Vanderburg II
Subject: Feature suggestion: random streams
Date: 18 Jul 2006 23:22:46
Message: <44bda586$1@news.povray.org>
I accidentally posted this under povray.tools.general, I think, sorry.

I think would be useful if there was a way to generate different random
streams each time a render is run without changing the seed value each
time.  Perhaps something where:

#declare r1 = seed(100);
#declare r2 = rseed();

Or perhaps no arguments to 'seed' means to use a random initial value
generated from the current time or entropy file or /dev/random, etc.

Post a reply to this message

If you just want it to be different each time you could write a macro to
write and next time read-back a single random float in a file.    That
number is your new seed which'll be different each time...

Brian Vanderburg II <bri### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I accidentally posted this under povray.tools.general, I think, sorry.
>
> I think would be useful if there was a way to generate different random
> streams each time a render is run without changing the seed value each
> time.  Perhaps something where:
>
> #declare r1 = seed(100);
> #declare r2 = rseed();
>
> Or perhaps no arguments to 'seed' means to use a random initial value
> generated from the current time or entropy file or /dev/random, etc.

Post a reply to this message

> If you just want it to be different each time you could write a macro to
> write and next time read-back a single random float in a file.    That
> number is your new seed which'll be different each time...

So you read in a seed, and the first thing you do with that seed is use it
to generate a random number to seed the next run.  I like that.  I hadn't
thought of that one.  In the case that I want to do an automated series of
runs, I link "seed" to the frame value.