POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Did someone try something like this? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Did someone try something like this? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Did someone try something like this?
Date: 9 Mar 2006 17:36:29
Message: <MPG.1e7a5afd254c39bf989ef6@news.povray.org>
Just random wandering in my mind led me to think about cartoon rendering,
specifically the black edges. I seem to remember maybe someone trying
this before, but not sure. Anyway, in the anti-aliases step, if one
wanted to, couldn't one sort of make something over a certain threshold
black or darken the line, so it looks like it was drawn? I figured,
something like:

Ink_Edges = 0 -> 1

1 = 100% dark, I.e. make the pixel black, anything else is darkened by a
percentage.

Ink_Threshold = 0 -> 1

Determines when the darkening happens, this is "over" the normal AA. So
if AA is set at a threshold of .1, you could make the ink threshold .5
and it would only "ink" things if the color difference is 60%, not 10%,
like the AA.

Anyway, just an odd thought I had for what someone might do to fiddle
with trying to make POV-Ray "look" like cartoon art. I think I remember
someone doing something similar before though....

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

Um... You're not talking of something like the find edges macro of the
postprocess feature of megapov?
http://megapov.inetart.net/demo/pp_find_edges.png

i have to confess i never tried it so i can't tell anything about
usage/speed/flexibility though.

Just a tip ;-)
Regards Roman

Post a reply to this message

Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Just random wandering in my mind led me to think about cartoon rendering,
> specifically the black edges. I seem to remember maybe someone trying
> this before, but not sure. Anyway, in the anti-aliases step, if one
> wanted to, couldn't one sort of make something over a certain threshold
> black or darken the line, so it looks like it was drawn? I figured,
> something like:

Had to search to find this, but I remembered it from a few years back (2002)
by Simon Adameit.

http://news.povray.org/./povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3d3edd19%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3d3fd84f%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=2

The effect processes a scene and detects normal and depth edges (as opposed
to color area edges) to give a cartoony like look.

And the finalized scene file:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/attachment/%3C3d40482f@news.povray.org%3E/p_main.pov.txt

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Just random wandering in my mind led me to think about cartoon rendering,
> > specifically the black edges. I seem to remember maybe someone trying
> > this before, but not sure. Anyway, in the anti-aliases step, if one
> > wanted to, couldn't one sort of make something over a certain threshold
> > black or darken the line, so it looks like it was drawn? I figured,
> > something like:
> >

> Had to search to find this, but I remembered it from a few years back (2002)
> by Simon Adameit.

http://news.povray.org/./povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3d3edd19%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3d3fd84f%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=2

> The effect processes a scene and detects normal and depth edges (as opposed
> to color area edges) to give a cartoony like look.
>
> And the finalized scene file:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/attachment/%3C3d40482f@news.povray.org%3E/p_main.pov.txt

Hmm. Thought so. I wonder what a version like my idea would do instead,
but being not so great at coding in C... lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else