POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion (Message 2 to 11 of 41)
<<< Previous 1 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion
Date: 10 Dec 2005 05:16:40
Message: <439aab08@news.povray.org>
Note that the way gamma correction is handled will change with the
next version of POV-Ray (ie. 3.7).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Dec 2005 05:28:17
Message: <dneaj1$jmh$1@chho.imagico.de>
Kenneth wrote:
> [...]
>
> Should assumed_gamma be set to 1.0?  My own short answer is...no. At least
> for Mac and PC users. I realize I'm treading on thin ice here,

Not on thin ice, you are already deep in the water...

What you wrote is full of errors and misconceptions - i could make a
long list.  But i won't do.  Color handling in computers and color
perception is a complicated issue.  So you are in good company when not
fully understanding it.  The POV-Ray docs chapter on gamma correction is
meant to give a quick insight into what's necessary to set up the gamma
correction in POV-Ray correctly.  It is not meant as an introducetion
into color processing at all, it just deals with gamma correction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction

nothing more.  It does not say that the results you get when following
these instructions will be in any way pleasing or appear more
'realistic' to you than any other settings.

And finally it should be noted that using any value for assumed_gamma
other than 1.0 or no value at all could lead to trouble with future
versions of POV-Ray since abuse of gamma correction for tone mapping
purposes might not be supported any more (you can still set whatever
gamma factor you want in command line/ini options of course).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)