POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion : Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Dec 2005 09:13:21
Message: <dnenrk$ng2$1@chho.imagico.de>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:
> I've never really understood why POV-Ray should do gamma-correction.  Isn't that up
to the display-drivers?  Wouldn't it be more logical if POV-Ray just assumed that 50%
of the RGB-values give 50% of the brightness ?

That might be good but in reality it isn't.  In fact these days it would
probably make sense to have all display devices perform gamma correction
internally.  Instead there is the sRGB standard which uses a gamma of
2.2.  Some (usually more expensive) monitors have an sRGB setting where
they act as an sRGB device and transform the signals to their own
characteristics internally.

Note current implementations of the X-Window system support adjusting
gamma correction for the graphics display globally (might be subject to
support by the display driver):

http://wiki.x.org/X11R6.8.0/doc/xorg.conf.5.html#sect9

but it hardly makes sense to use this to get a linear characteristic of
the display since all colors (on websites, in images or elsewhere) will
be displayed incorrectly (unless *all* the programs you use can render
into linear color space).  What makes sense is to use this feature to
adjust for the difference between your monitor and sRGB (either by
estimation or using an actual calibration device).

> Now, as I understand it, that *is* the default behaviour of POV-Ray, but then why do
some image_maps look a lot darker than they should?  What are the correct settings to
completely turn off any gamma-correction ?

If you don't specify any assumed_gamma in the scene file the render is
done without any gamma correction.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)