POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blog article on POVRay Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:27:35 EDT (-0400)
  Blog article on POVRay (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: David Buck
Subject: Blog article on POVRay
Date: 7 Oct 2005 21:47:57
Message: <4347254d$1@news.povray.org>
After speaking to Aaron Collins today (Aaron helped me write DKBTrace
which was later used as the basis of POVRay), I wrote a blog article on
POVRay, its history, and its present state.

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/buck/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3306173249

To everyone in the POVRay community, I commend you.  POVRay is a
phenominal program and the quality of the images the POV artists make
with it is amazing.

In the early days of DKBTrace, I toyed with the idea of making it a
commercial product.  Making it freeware, however, has allowed it to
catch on and grow in ways I'd never imagined.  I couldn't begin to count
the number of people it has influenced and inspired.  I can only claim a
small part of the credit since I haven't been involved with the project
since about 1993.  The POVRay team and the community have made POVRay
what it is today.  It's still, however, a major source of pride for me.

Congratulations, everyone.

David (Kirk) Buck

Post a reply to this message

David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> After speaking to Aaron Collins today (Aaron helped me write DKBTrace
> which was later used as the basis of POVRay), I wrote a blog article on
> POVRay, its history, and its present state.

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/buck/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3306173249

> To everyone in the POVRay community, I commend you.  POVRay is a
> phenominal program and the quality of the images the POV artists make
> with it is amazing.
>
> In the early days of DKBTrace, I toyed with the idea of making it a
> commercial product.  Making it freeware, however, has allowed it to
> catch on and grow in ways I'd never imagined.  I couldn't begin to count
> the number of people it has influenced and inspired.  I can only claim a
> small part of the credit since I haven't been involved with the project
> since about 1993.  The POVRay team and the community have made POVRay
> what it is today.  It's still, however, a major source of pride for me.
>
> Congratulations, everyone.
>
> David (Kirk) Buck

Thank you very much for starting it all David !

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

> Thank you very much for starting it all David !

I did it for the fun of it.  There's not enough of that in computing
these days.

Thanks
David

Post a reply to this message

David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
  The POVRay team and the community have made POVRay
> what it is today.  It's still, however, a major source of pride for me.
>
> Congratulations, everyone.
>
> David (Kirk) Buck

POV-Ray is one of the best "finds" I have ever made on the 'net! MANY
MANY thanks to you (and all the POV-Team) for keeping it open -source and
free. It is a CONSTANT source of fun and amazement.

Ken

Post a reply to this message