POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slashdot article on POV-Ray Competition Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Slashdot article on POV-Ray Competition (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Renderdog
Subject: Slashdot article on POV-Ray Competition
Date: 30 May 2005 21:15:01
Message: <web.429bb9d767d922b9dd4295f50@news.povray.org>
Here:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/30/1716200&tid=152

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Subject: Re: Slashdot article on POV-Ray Competition
Date: 30 May 2005 23:51:49
Message: <429bdf55@news.povray.org>
Interesting discussion. It seems like many (not all) of the people who say
that POV-Ray can't produce realistic images are the same ones who are aware
that it's a very old program; I wonder if their knowledge that it's an old
program (that was limited in its early days) is causing some bias?

Then there are a lot of people who say things like "Its a good render for
ray tracer but RAY TRACING IS OLD. Radiosity and stocastic renders are much
higher quality then this," who seem to believe that certain algorithms
equate to realistic images, hardly considering the influence of the artist's
skill level - and who aren't even aware that such algorithms are available
in POV-Ray. =)

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message