POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slashdot article on POV-Ray Competition : Re: Slashdot article on POV-Ray Competition Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slashdot article on POV-Ray Competition
From: Ross
Date: 31 May 2005 11:07:58
Message: <429c7dce$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 00:30:40 -0400, Tim Cook wrote:
>

>>Another thing that irritates me is the attitude of "it's not
>>bleeding-edge, therefore it's infinitely inferior".  :P
>

> Feh, that's just /. mentality for you

Agreed. It's funny how /. mentality works. Slashdot is a haven for open
source and free software geeks, but every POV article, they always bash
it by saying "X, Y, and Z is better" (usually Maya).

It also seems that the examples of "photorealistic" images that people
linked to in the discussion were all using HDRI environments, which make
the focus of the scene look realistic, but the background looks faked
(too blurry).

alas... POV rocks. off i go.