POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mandelbrot's Apple Man Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Mandelbrot's Apple Man (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: nomail
Subject: Mandelbrot's Apple Man
Date: 14 Jun 2004 16:40:01
Message: <web.40ce0b9560283faa1ba699390@news.povray.org>
There are two ways to calculate it in programming language:
- with Cartesian coordinates (real and imaginary part)
- with polar coordinates (radius and angle)
With both systems you can calculate the square of a value easily with real
values.

But what would happen, if we add a 3rd dimension?
Then you take spherical coordinates. For calculating the square you just
square the radius and double the 2 angles. You do the same thing to
calculate an apple man.

I have made some test scenes with POV-Ray, but it was very slow. I switched
to Visual Basic .NET and made an include-file. Every Point consists of 12
triangles, because meshes are faster than boxes.
The problem is: it takes too long to calculate a good image. My pictures are
full of pixels and unclear, but you can see that it is a fractal.

Maybe there are better ways to calculate such figures much more faster and
better. I think of something like isosurfaces. There's also the rule: draw
the point or not.

Clearly the x-y-plane shows an apple man, but not the two other planes.
interesting...

Did anyone heard about such an idea? Google couldn't find something.

Post a reply to this message