POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mandelbrot's Apple Man : Re: Mandelbrot's Apple Man Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mandelbrot's Apple Man
From: nomail
Date: 15 Jun 2004 03:30:00
Message: <web.40cea4e9c17435f2315b012e0@news.povray.org>
>   If you render 1 mesh and then render 1 box, the box will probably
> render faster.
>   Thus if you create and render 1000 meshes and then create and render
> 1000 boxes, the boxes will probably still render faster.
>   Also, the meshes will probably consume much more memory than the boxes.
>
>   The difference may kick in if you create 1 mesh containing all the
> triangles of the original 1000 meshes and compare that 1 mesh with
> the 1000 boxes.

Of course I made one mesh containing all these triangles. They were in most
cases faster. But the main reason was, that with a mesh i didn't need 4 GB
RAM.

>   So you shouldn't simply assume "meshes render faster than boxes". This
> is true only in certain contexts.
>
>   How are you creating the meshes? Have you actually compared the rendering
> speed if you created boxes?

Every box consists of 12 triangles. I create the edge-point with VB and
include the triangle-file in POV-Ray

> > Maybe there are better ways to calculate such figures much more faster and
> > better. I think of something like isosurfaces. There's also the rule: draw
> > the point or not.
>
>   Mandelbrot-type fractals are often ugly and not very descriptive if you
> render only the points inside the fractal.
>   The most beautiful and descriptive Mandelbrot images are those where
> the coloration of space depends on the number of iterations it took to
> bail out. (It's descriptive because the color will tell you how close
> that point is to the border of the fractal.)
>
>   Of course this is easy to do in a 2D image, but not in a 3D image.
>
>   You could do what the 4D Julia fractal does: Use a low iteration
> amount and just render the surface of that iteration.

That's what I also thought of. Only rendering the points of one plane
crossing the figure. Then it is possible to color. hmmm...
I'will try it, when I have enough time, not yet. Maybe next week-end.