POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mandelbrot's Apple Man : Re: Mandelbrot's Apple Man Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mandelbrot's Apple Man
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jun 2004 17:38:55
Message: <40ce1aee@news.povray.org>
nomail@nomail wrote:
> Every Point consists of 12 triangles, because meshes are faster than boxes.

  *Ahem*

  If you render 1 mesh and then render 1 box, the box will probably
render faster.
  Thus if you create and render 1000 meshes and then create and render
1000 boxes, the boxes will probably still render faster.
  Also, the meshes will probably consume much more memory than the boxes.

  The difference may kick in if you create 1 mesh containing all the
triangles of the original 1000 meshes and compare that 1 mesh with
the 1000 boxes.

  So you shouldn't simply assume "meshes render faster than boxes". This
is true only in certain contexts.

  How are you creating the meshes? Have you actually compared the rendering
speed if you created boxes?

> Maybe there are better ways to calculate such figures much more faster and
> better. I think of something like isosurfaces. There's also the rule: draw
> the point or not.

  Mandelbrot-type fractals are often ugly and not very descriptive if you
render only the points inside the fractal.
  The most beautiful and descriptive Mandelbrot images are those where
the coloration of space depends on the number of iterations it took to
bail out. (It's descriptive because the color will tell you how close
that point is to the border of the fractal.)

  Of course this is easy to do in a 2D image, but not in a 3D image.

  You could do what the 4D Julia fractal does: Use a low iteration
amount and just render the surface of that iteration.