POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray 3.6 for windows won't start Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 3.6 for windows won't start (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Summit Group
Subject: Povray 3.6 for windows won't start
Date: 14 Jun 2004 11:55:01
Message: <web.40cdca31968f4d93a9326b250@news.povray.org>
I've been trying to get povray to start under windows XP. The error message
that comes up is "Backend thread failed to complete init". I uninstalled
completely, and re-installed, but I still get the same error. Povray worked
properly the first time I installed it, but since I've restarted it ( and
my computer ) it refuses to start. Any ideas?

Ron.

Post a reply to this message

> I've been trying to get povray to start under windows XP. The error message
> that comes up is "Backend thread failed to complete init". I uninstalled
> completely, and re-installed, but I still get the same error. Povray worked
> properly the first time I installed it, but since I've restarted it ( and
> my computer ) it refuses to start. Any ideas?

The main code waits 2.5 seconds for the backend (which is the message subsystem
that talks to the rendering engine) to start up. It should never take that long,
and because it did you are getting that error. I have no idea why and would love
to find out. So sorry, I can't solve it for you but if you do manage to get it
going I'd lke to know what you did. If you don't get it going in the next few
days please let me know and I'll work with you to find the cause of it.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> The main code waits 2.5 seconds for the backend (which is the message subsystem
> that talks to the rendering engine) to start up. It should never take that long,
> and because it did you are getting that error. I have no idea why and would love
> to find out. So sorry, I can't solve it for you but if you do manage to get it
> going I'd lke to know what you did. If you don't get it going in the next few
> days please let me know and I'll work with you to find the cause of it.

I played with it some more today, and I left my task manager open while
trying to start the application. The CPU reaches 100% and stays there until
the message box with the error pops up, so it probably is taking too long
to start. I'm going to try a few things to see if I can optimize the
startup to get it under 2.5 seconds. Is there a parameter I can tweak in an
..ini file to lengthen the timeout value?

Ron.

Post a reply to this message

> I played with it some more today, and I left my task manager open while
> trying to start the application. The CPU reaches 100% and stays there until
> the message box with the error pops up, so it probably is taking too long
> to start. I'm going to try a few things to see if I can optimize the
> startup to get it under 2.5 seconds. Is there a parameter I can tweak in an
> ..ini file to lengthen the timeout value?

nope. if it's at 100% for 2.5 seconds then it's likely to stay there, as it's
not supposed to be doing all that much. we need to work out why it's at 100%
at all ...

-- Chris