POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : True Antialiasing Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  True Antialiasing (Message 20 to 29 of 29)
From: Marc Champagne
Subject: Re: True Antialiasing
Date: 27 Aug 2003 19:36:41
Message: <Xns93E4C71F4A43POVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
"gramirosimancas" <nomail@nomail> wrote in
news:web.3f4d28bf8f004971d63a77300@news.povray.org:

> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

[snip]

> In the 2d case where "pyramid raytracing" is used successfully in many
> vector drawing programs and render libs there is an alias removal bost
> while compared to bad libraries that do simple pixel sampling
> (equivalent to 3d raytracing).
> An example library that does this kind of antialiasing in the 2d world
> is http://www.levien.com/libart/
>
> No current antialias method in povray can cope with a simple checker
> surface at any distance while using pyramid raytracing have always best
> results at any distance. If you use a checker structure with a program
> that uses libart you'll see there's no energy lost at any distance (i.e.
> the picture is neither completely black nor completely white.

Although I am far from being qualified to add to this discusion, I would be
very curious to see such a picture.

--
(MIKA) Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

Post a reply to this message

From: Apache
Date: 27 Aug 2003 20:02:52
Message: <3f4d46ac$1@news.povray.org>
just add +d50 to the POV-Ray's command-line and you'll have about the same
results a with using full pixel squares

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Champagne
Date: 27 Aug 2003 20:37:02
Message: <Xns93E4D15A495FPOVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
"Apache" <apa### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in

> just add +d50 to the POV-Ray's command-line and you'll have about the
> same results a with using full pixel squares

+d is video mode, and I guess most of us are using default of 0,
what does 50 stand for?

I believe video mode will affect only the render windoe and not image
output quality.

I'm scanning the docs, but it may take a while before I find anything.

Thanks

--
(MIKA) Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca