POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : heightfields and DEM and Geotiff Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  heightfields and DEM and Geotiff (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Jim
Subject: heightfields and DEM and Geotiff
Date: 19 Dec 2002 11:10:03
Message: <web.3e01edcaa4e30c861d8a41ce0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

   I've just finished an exhaustive search for a way to copnvert DEMs
(Digital Elevation Map)to the Povray heightfield Targa format. No matter
what program/s I use, the result distorts the elevation data in some way.

   From www.terrainmap.com: all programs yield a "red" or "blue" version
          of the "green" Targa map.
   DEM2Pov: This common program is for 1:250,000 scale DEM and not the
           1:24,000 I'm using.
   SDTSEPOV: Sol Katz's program converts the 30 meter DEM but not the new
           10 meter versions.
   Arcview 3.2a: no go.
   3DEM: no go.
   dlgv32pro/Global Mapper: no go.
   Wilbur: no go.
   Genesis II: no go.
   OSSIM: no go.

   The same for others. Either the map is not correctly produced or a
grayscale limited to 256 "colors"/elevations results.
   Either the 16-bit grayscale or a Povray Targa would work but, to date
only Sol Katz's program works and that, only with the 30 meter files.
   Anyone know, by experience, of a program that will do the conversion?
   Grayscale or Povray Targa?

                                            Thanks,
                                             Jim

Post a reply to this message

> of a program that will do the conversion?
>    Grayscale or Povray Targa?

you could try Leveller with the approriate plug in:

http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/index.htm

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

>    I've just finished an exhaustive search for a way to copnvert DEMs
> (Digital Elevation Map)to the Povray heightfield Targa format. No matter
> what program/s I use, the result distorts the elevation data in some way.
>
> [...]

If your map is in an uncompressed integer format you can use HCREdit:

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/hcredit/

to convert it.

Christoph

Last updated 07 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

>   I've just finished an exhaustive search for a way to copnvert DEMs
>(Digital Elevation Map)to the Povray heightfield Targa format. No matter
>what program/s I use, the result distorts the elevation data in some way.
>
>   From www.terrainmap.com: all programs yield a "red" or "blue" version
>          of the "green" Targa map.
>   DEM2Pov: This common program is for 1:250,000 scale DEM and not the
>           1:24,000 I'm using.
>   SDTSEPOV: Sol Katz's program converts the 30 meter DEM but not the new
>           10 meter versions.
>   Arcview 3.2a: no go.
>   3DEM: no go.
>   dlgv32pro/Global Mapper: no go.
>   Wilbur: no go.
>   Genesis II: no go.
>   OSSIM: no go.
>
>   The same for others. Either the map is not correctly produced or a
>grayscale limited to 256 "colors"/elevations results.
>   Either the 16-bit grayscale or a Povray Targa would work but, to date
>only Sol Katz's program works and that, only with the 30 meter files.
>   Anyone know, by experience, of a program that will do the conversion?
>   Grayscale or Povray Targa?
>
>                                            Thanks,
>                                             Jim

Well, a two step process would be use the Firmament import plugin for
Terragen to import the DEM, generate the terrain then save as a .ter file,
then import that into Forester which can make a POV .tga
I haven't used any DEMs so I don't know if Firmament handles all the
different versions you refer to, but IIRC it lists a couple in the readme.

RG - If God had wanted one application that did everything, he wouldn't have
created Unix

Post a reply to this message