POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : heightfields and DEM and Geotiff : Re: heightfields and DEM and Geotiff Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: heightfields and DEM and Geotiff
From: gonzo
Date: 19 Dec 2002 13:50:05
Message: <web.3e02136f785b7ef7d843c24b0@news.povray.org>
Jim wrote:
>Hi,
>
>   I've just finished an exhaustive search for a way to copnvert DEMs
>(Digital Elevation Map)to the Povray heightfield Targa format. No matter
>what program/s I use, the result distorts the elevation data in some way.
>
>   From www.terrainmap.com: all programs yield a "red" or "blue" version
>          of the "green" Targa map.
>   DEM2Pov: This common program is for 1:250,000 scale DEM and not the
>           1:24,000 I'm using.
>   SDTSEPOV: Sol Katz's program converts the 30 meter DEM but not the new
>           10 meter versions.
>   Arcview 3.2a: no go.
>   3DEM: no go.
>   dlgv32pro/Global Mapper: no go.
>   Wilbur: no go.
>   Genesis II: no go.
>   OSSIM: no go.
>
>   The same for others. Either the map is not correctly produced or a
>grayscale limited to 256 "colors"/elevations results.
>   Either the 16-bit grayscale or a Povray Targa would work but, to date
>only Sol Katz's program works and that, only with the 30 meter files.
>   Anyone know, by experience, of a program that will do the conversion?
>   Grayscale or Povray Targa?
>
>                                            Thanks,
>                                             Jim

Well, a two step process would be use the Firmament import plugin for
Terragen to import the DEM, generate the terrain then save as a .ter file,
then import that into Forester which can make a POV .tga
I haven't used any DEMs so I don't know if Firmament handles all the
different versions you refer to, but IIRC it lists a couple in the readme.

RG - If God had wanted one application that did everything, he wouldn't have
created Unix