POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IORs of various substances Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  IORs of various substances (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Rohan Bernett
Subject: IORs of various substances
Date: 28 Jul 2002 23:34:01
Message: <web.3d44b783314cfd0118ccf4f70@news.povray.org>
I know the IORs of water and glass are 1.33 and 1.5, but there are a number
of materials that it would be handy to know the IORs for.

Perspex
PET (plastic, recycling number 1)
Pyrex
Quartz glass

If anyone can give the IORs of these substances (and any others) please

Rohan _e_ii

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:33:23 EDT Rohan Bernett wrote:

>I know the IORs of water and glass are 1.33 and 1.5, but there are a number
>of materials that it would be handy to know the IORs for.
>
>Perspex
>PET (plastic, recycling number 1)
>Pyrex
>Quartz glass
>
>If anyone can give the IORs of these substances (and any others) please

  The following are in the docs, section 7.4.6:

Air_Ior = 1.000292
Amethyst_Ior = 1.550
Apatite_Ior = 1.635
Aquamarine_Ior = 1.575
Beryl_Ior = 1.575
Citrine_Ior = 1.550
Crown_Glass_Ior = 1.51
Corundum_Ior = 1.765
Diamond_Ior = 2.47
Emerald_Ior = 1.575
Flint_Glass_Ior = 1.71
Flint_Glass_Heavy_Ior = 1.8
Flint_Glass_Medium_Ior = 1.63
Flint_Glass_Light_Ior = 1.6
Fluorite_Ior = 1.434
Gypsum_Ior = 1.525
Ice_Ior = 1.31
Plexiglas_Ior = 1.5
Quartz_Ior = 1.550
Quartz_Glass_Ior = 1.458
Ruby_Ior = 1.765
Salt_Ior = 1.544
Sapphire_Ior = 1.765
Topaz_Ior = 1.620
Tourmaline_Ior = 1.650
Water_Ior = 1.33

  Rather than copy and paste, here's the .url for one chart I found
using Google:

http://hokum.freehomepage.com/Content/Reference/Ref_Refract.html

--
Alan
ako### [at] povrayorg

Post a reply to this message

>I know the IORs of water and glass are 1.33 and 1.5, but there are a number
>of materials that it would be handy to know the IORs for.
>
>Perspex
>PET (plastic, recycling number 1)
>Pyrex
>Quartz glass
>
>If anyone can give the IORs of these substances (and any others) please
>
>Rohan _e_ii

http://www.luxpop.com/

=RAY=

Post a reply to this message

Unfortunatly, the lists supplied by you and the other fellow who replied to
my original message do not mention the substances I was looking for (except
for the Quartz). :-(

Rohan _e_ii

Post a reply to this message