POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IORs of various substances : Re: IORs of various substances Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IORs of various substances
From: Alan Kong
Date: 29 Jul 2002 00:42:28
Message: <7nh9ku0jpjvnifne0i7194njfaevde027i@4ax.com>
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:33:23 EDT Rohan Bernett wrote:

>I know the IORs of water and glass are 1.33 and 1.5, but there are a number
>of materials that it would be handy to know the IORs for.
>
>Perspex
>PET (plastic, recycling number 1)
>Pyrex
>Quartz glass
>
>If anyone can give the IORs of these substances (and any others) please

  The following are in the docs, section 7.4.6:

Air_Ior = 1.000292
Amethyst_Ior = 1.550
Apatite_Ior = 1.635
Aquamarine_Ior = 1.575
Beryl_Ior = 1.575
Citrine_Ior = 1.550
Crown_Glass_Ior = 1.51
Corundum_Ior = 1.765
Diamond_Ior = 2.47
Emerald_Ior = 1.575
Flint_Glass_Ior = 1.71
Flint_Glass_Heavy_Ior = 1.8
Flint_Glass_Medium_Ior = 1.63
Flint_Glass_Light_Ior = 1.6
Fluorite_Ior = 1.434
Gypsum_Ior = 1.525
Ice_Ior = 1.31
Plexiglas_Ior = 1.5
Quartz_Ior = 1.550
Quartz_Glass_Ior = 1.458
Ruby_Ior = 1.765
Salt_Ior = 1.544
Sapphire_Ior = 1.765
Topaz_Ior = 1.620
Tourmaline_Ior = 1.650
Water_Ior = 1.33

  Rather than copy and paste, here's the .url for one chart I found
using Google:

http://hokum.freehomepage.com/Content/Reference/Ref_Refract.html

--
Alan