POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor. Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor. (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Randy Sorensen
Subject: POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor.
Date: 8 Aug 1998 01:21:16
Message: <35cbd23c.0@news.povray.org>
Well, it's true.  POV-Ray should support the new 3DNow technology in the
new AMD K6-2 Processor.  Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could
find docs on how to code for this new processor?  I'd really like to know
how to write stuff for it.  Then perhaps I could even modify POV-Ray to
support it.  If it can make Quake II run faster than the equivelant Pentium
II, then I'm sure it can do wonders for POV-Ray.

Post a reply to this message

>    Well, it's true.  POV-Ray should support the new 3DNow technology in the
>new AMD K6-2 Processor.  Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could
>find docs on how to code for this new processor?  I'd really like to know
>how to write stuff for it.  Then perhaps I could even modify POV-Ray to
>support it.  If it can make Quake II run faster than the equivelant Pentium
>II, then I'm sure it can do wonders for POV-Ray.

Don't think so; OpenGL (or alikes...) and raytracing are very different
beasts.  As it have been extensively discussed before, 3D-accelerating
cards have absolutely no effect on Povray.

Now, maybe some parts of the K6-2's instruction set could speed up some
Povray operations ?  I don't know...  It's probably worth to try.
Anyway, CPU-specific compiles are always faster than "generalist" ones...

Fabien.

Date: 9 Aug 1998 08:36:08
Message: <wbbtpus806.fsf@tycho.intervett.no>
[101### [at] compuservecom (Fabien Mosen) ]
| Now, maybe some parts of the K6-2's instruction set could speed up some
| Povray operations ?  I don't know...  It's probably worth to try.

K6-2 includes instruction sets for fast floating point calculations,
especially matrix transformations. They would work very well for POV
indeed, _however_ I'm willing to bet that they only use 32-bit
floating points, and I don't think that's enough.

--
A penny for your thoughts.
Mine are more expensive.

Date: 10 Aug 1998 10:27:33
Message: <wbg1f5ge7i.fsf@tycho.intervett.no>

| K6-2 includes instruction sets for fast floating point calculations,
| especially matrix transformations. They would work very well for POV
| indeed, _however_ I'm willing to bet that they only use 32-bit
| floating points, and I don't think that's enough.

I'm following up myself here. It seems that although 3D-NOW is only
32-bit, Intel's Katmai instructions will be 64-bit. Meaning it can
do 4 FPU calculations at the same time. This could improve POV-Ray's
speed considerably.

--
A penny for your thoughts.
Mine are more expensive.