POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor. : Re: POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor. Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:32:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray needs to support the K6-2 Processor.
Date: 14 Aug 1998 03:49:51
Message: <wbu33gkqi3.fsf@tycho.intervett.no>
[Jason Peacock <jpe### [at] uwashingtonedu>]
| Actually, to help the render speed of POVRay, you need to increase the
| FPU calculations.  AMD, CYRIX, and the other chip clones have done very
| well in the integer math department, but still fall behind intel's
| performance in floating point math.
| The K6-2's 3D-Now is for 3D games, just like a 3D accelerator card.  It
| can draw polygons really fast, but it won't make pov crunch the math any
| faster.

First you insult me, then you spread lies? Get this and get this
straight: 3D-Now and also the Katmai instruction set comming from Intel
are NOT graphics-rendering tools. They are a SIMD path for floating
point math. (Single Instruction, multiple data) end specially
optimized for doing matrix transforms, which POV-Ray does a lot of.
Please don't say you _know_ when you're only guessing.

Intel's Katmai will probably be more useful for POV-Ray as it will support
64bit floats, 3D-Now! is 32bit.

--
A penny for your thoughts.
Mine are more expensive.