POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bent text? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Bent text? (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Hershel Robinson
Subject: Bent text?
Date: 14 Feb 2002 08:13:50
Message: <3c6bb80e@news.povray.org>
I would like to model a column with words engraved or carved into or out of
(i.e. protruding from) the column.  I don't know how to create 3D letters
which are curved to match the column, however.

The hard way would be to use Chris Colefax's Bend include file.  Hard in
terms of render time--I have more than one column with unique text.  I would
like to ask if anyone knows of an easier way to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Hershel

Post a reply to this message

"Hershel Robinson" <her### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> I would like to model a column with words engraved or carved into or out
of
> (i.e. protruding from) the column.  I don't know how to create 3D letters
> which are curved to match the column, however.
>
> The hard way would be to use Chris Colefax's Bend include file.  Hard in
> terms of render time--I have more than one column with unique text.  I
would
> like to ask if anyone knows of an easier way to accomplish this.

    I don't think you can bend the individual letters in any easy way, but
there are ways to parse out the text string and rotate out each letter. Here
is the sample file I copied from somewhere...

background {
    color rgb 1
}

#declare Rotation = clock + 55;
#declare CText = "SOPHIE'S WORLD  SOPHIE'S WORLD  SOPHIE'S WORLD  "

camera {
 location <0, 0, -8>
 direction <0, 0, 1.5>
 look_at <0, 0, 0>
}

light_source {
 <-1, 1, -12>
 colour rgb <1.3, 1.3, 1.3>
}

#declare Letter = 1;

union {
 #while (Letter <= strlen (CText))
  text {
   ttf "c:\windows\fonts\courbd.ttf", substr (CText, Letter, 1), 0.1, 0
   translate <0, -0.5, -3>
            scale <0.55, 1.1, 1>
   rotate <0, -360 / strlen (CText) * Letter, 0>
   no_shadow
  }
  #declare Letter = Letter + 1;
 #end