POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
Date: 2 Apr 2004 10:32:33
Message: <406d8791@news.povray.org>
> I have not said anything about this being allowed - i was just talking
> about the possibility.  In fact this rule has been interpreted quite
> loosely recently in the IRTC - all kind of convolution filters are
> considered not breaking the rules as well as resizing from a larger
> render.  If you remove artefacts or do other tweaks in a larger render
> and then scale it this is next to impossible to spot in the resulting image.

  I once complained about the IRTC allowing image rescaling as a
post-processing step using an image manipulation program because you
can, among other things, get a much better antialiasing than the
renderer might be able to do normally (thus the antialiasing quality
seen in the image does not correspond to the quality of the output of
the renderer).
  I was more or less astonished when the attitude of the IRTC maintainers
was that this is not only ok, but they talked in a way that they might
even want to allow even more post-processing.

  If they allow post-processing then it's not a rendering competition
anymore. It's a computer graphics competition.
  I don't think that was the original goal of the IRTC.