POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition : Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
From: Heckler
Date: 2 Apr 2004 19:50:56
Message: <406e0a70$1@news.povray.org>
"The aim of this competition is to create a visually
compelling image of a 3D fractal form using the POVRay
raytacing program"

I would say this limits the acceptable software and the
required image far more strictly than the IRTC.  An IRTC
subjcet of "fractals" would surely accommodate anything from
a pure render of a 4d-julia to an imaginatively presented
close-up of the definition of the word "fractal" in a
rendered paper dictionary.  "Visually compelling" also seems
to exclude the possibility of a "technical merit" award as
per the IRTC for mere technical achievment.

>   Doesn't this replicate too much IRTC with a topic of
"fractals"?
> This is mainly because there are practically no limits on
what the
> user can do (except using external files, which isn't very
limiting,
> and a maximum of 10000 bytes, which isn't very limiting
either).

>   The problem I see with this is that there's really no
challenge
> in this competition other than making a beautiful image.
Which is
> exactly what IRTC is for.
>
>   (And of course how to define a "fractal" is another
question...)

>   Doesn't this replicate too much IRTC with a topic of
"fractals"?
> This is mainly because there are practically no limits on
what the
> user can do (except using external files, which isn't very
limiting,
> and a maximum of 10000 bytes, which isn't very limiting
either).

>   The problem I see with this is that there's really no
challenge
> in this competition other than making a beautiful image.
Which is
> exactly what IRTC is for.
>
>   (And of course how to define a "fractal" is another
question...)

> --
> plane{-x+y,-1pigment{bozo color_map{[0rgb x][1rgb
x+y]}turbulence 1}}
> sphere{0,2pigment{rgbt 1}interior{media{emission
1density{spherical
> density_map{[0rgb 0][.5rgb<1,.5>][1rgb
1]}turbulence.9}}}scale

<1,1,3>hollow}text{ttf"timrom""Warp".1,0translate<-1,-.1,2>}
//  - Warp -