POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  POV Wishlist (Message 21 to 30 of 101)
From: Tom Galvin
Subject: Re: POV Wishlist
Date: 17 Mar 2004 10:32:03
Message: <Xns94AF6B25D7921tomatimporg@203.29.75.35>
Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] NOSPAMml1net> wrote in
news:pan### [at] NOSPAMml1net:

> 8. A C(++) API
>     This is another way of acheiving some of the above speed-related
>     goals. Allowing creating a pov-scene by linking against the API,
>     giving code that builds a binary to render the scene. The ultimate
>     for CPU intensive stuff.

I would much rather see the perl module povray.pm ;)

use povray;
my $result = povray->render(  AA => 0.3,
                              AM => 2,
    	    	    	    	    	etc, etc...
                           );

--
Tom
_________________________________

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross Litscher
Date: 17 Mar 2004 10:33:42
Message: <40586fd6$1@news.povray.org>
> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > POV-Ray is a renderer.
>
>   POV-Ray is more than a renderer.

yes, POV-Ray is a modeler

*ducks*

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 17 Mar 2004 20:42:36
Message: <9evh50h8d2std7lnadaihmkncf219vig1r@4ax.com>
Hi Christopher James Huff, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> Not really practical, at least not in the way you describe. It would be
> either extremely slow or outrageously memory consuming, or both.
> Lightwave probably uses some form of scanlining for this, and just
> refines lighting maps...POV can not do this, being a raytracer and not
> using light maps.
Actually it also raytraces. Take a look here
http://www.worley.com/fprime.html
Specifically, the 2nd movie. As for being slow.... well this plugin is
absolutely amazing, at least from the demos...

It's sort of a Mosaic mode on steroids.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Mar 2004 21:02:05
Message: <MPG.1ac2b0d8951a88619899e9@news.povray.org>
In article <4057ea45@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> In article <MPG.1ac147e51c2d571d9899e7@news.povray.org> , Patrick Elliott
> <sha### [at] hotmailcom>  wrote:
>
> > One thing that would be very helpful in byte code is 'parse once, run
> > multiple times'.
>
> This is impossible with the current POV-Ray SDL because it offers
> self-modifying and self-generating capability.

Self modifying isn't necessarily a major problem, "if" done right. The
problem with the existing implementation is that it can't really do so. I
wouldn't say self modification *and* bytecode is an impossibility. Most
things like Java and VBScript use byte code too. You can however insert
more code into the global scope or even use some functions in the
languages to dynamically change the code as it runs by loading a text
file and passing it to the engine to execute. I have no idea how this is
done though.

It does admittedly complicate things I admit.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 18 Mar 2004 13:12:40
Message: <4059e698@news.povray.org>
> I would much rather see the perl module povray.pm ;)
>
> use povray;
> my $result = povray->render(  AA => 0.3,
>                               AM => 2,
>     	    	    	    	    	etc, etc...
>                            );

Good idea. Shouldn't be such a great problem, though. Except you want
some really fancy features like inserting every object via Perl:

povray->scene->add_sphere(0,1);

Even that would be possible, but don't worth the effort IMHO. A module
for calling POV-Ray with different options would be fine. Nice features
would also be OO-access to the stats etc. Perhaps it's time to do some
Perl again :)

Florian

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 18 Mar 2004 19:37:02
Message: <405A40AD.4FBFD4F4@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:

> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > POV-Ray is a renderer.
>
>   POV-Ray is more than a renderer.

It's a way of life!

> Besides, what's wrong with wanting POV-Ray to be faster? I thought we
> all wanted that.

I didn't say I objected to POV-Ray running faster; my point, which I
should have stated more explictly, is that given the limited lifespan
of the average POV-Team member, their time may be better spent on
things dealing with rendering, rather than parsing.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Tyler Eaves
Date: 18 Mar 2004 20:58:54
Message: <pan.2004.03.19.02.00.44.552407@NOSPAMml1.net>
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:37:01 -0700, John VanSickle wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>>
>> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> > POV-Ray is a renderer.
>>
>>   POV-Ray is more than a renderer.
>
> It's a way of life!
>
>> Besides, what's wrong with wanting POV-Ray to be faster? I thought we
>> all wanted that.
>
> I didn't say I objected to POV-Ray running faster; my point, which I
> should have stated more explictly, is that given the limited lifespan
> of the average POV-Team member, their time may be better spent on
> things dealing with rendering, rather than parsing.
>
> Regards,
> John

I'm not so sure that's true. The rendering engine has gotten to the point
where you practically have to *be* a POV-Team member to know all the
capabilites, much less understand them. Faster parsing helps everyone,
especially those of us who like toying with animation.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 19 Mar 2004 04:27:12
Message: <405abcf0@news.povray.org>
Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] nospamml1net> wrote:
> The rendering engine has gotten to the point
> where you practically have to *be* a POV-Team member to know all the
> capabilites

  Actually I wouldn't be surprised if not all team members know every
single detail POV-Ray is capable of... not deeply enough to use it
fluently, at least... :)

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Mar 2004 04:33:34
Message: <405abe6e@news.povray.org>
In article <405abcf0@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   Actually I wouldn't be surprised if not all team members know every
> single detail POV-Ray is capable of... not deeply enough to use it
> fluently, at least... :)

But we know where to look things up in the manual, so nobody ever sees us
asking questions ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Mar 2004 09:07:07
Message: <cjameshuff-19C9E9.09071419032004@news.povray.org>
In article <9evh50h8d2std7lnadaihmkncf219vig1r@4ax.com>,
 Lutz Kretzschmar <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote:

> Actually it also raytraces.

Well, it certainly uses scanline algorithms heavily. The type of
radiosity in POV Ray can give very different results at lower qualities,
you'd have to re-render the image after refining the radiosity data.

> Take a look here
> http://www.worley.com/fprime.html
> Specifically, the 2nd movie. As for being slow.... well this plugin is
> absolutely amazing, at least from the demos...

You can easily tell that the main rendering uses scanlining by the fact
that it renders the scene object-by-object. Raytracing is probably just
another layer that gets composited in...this isn't the case for POV.

Something like this could be done in a pure raytracer, but I don't think
it can be done with POV-Ray's radiosity, reflections and refractions
would require a lot of re-raytracing, and I have doubts about the
photons...adding to a kd-tree is a problem, though there is a bkd tree
that could solve this problem. You could do it in stages, producing
progressively higher quality renders, but that would require either very
good planning or a very smart adaptive algorithm to avoid wasting time
on things that make no difference. Perhaps "fingerprinting" the scene by
rendering a few hundred pixels from it to compare with previous versions
would work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/