POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Mar 2004 09:07:07
Message: <cjameshuff-19C9E9.09071419032004@news.povray.org>
In article <9evh50h8d2std7lnadaihmkncf219vig1r@4ax.com>,
 Lutz Kretzschmar <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote:

> Actually it also raytraces.

Well, it certainly uses scanline algorithms heavily. The type of
radiosity in POV Ray can give very different results at lower qualities,
you'd have to re-render the image after refining the radiosity data.

> Take a look here
> http://www.worley.com/fprime.html
> Specifically, the 2nd movie. As for being slow.... well this plugin is
> absolutely amazing, at least from the demos...

You can easily tell that the main rendering uses scanlining by the fact
that it renders the scene object-by-object. Raytracing is probably just
another layer that gets composited in...this isn't the case for POV.

Something like this could be done in a pure raytracer, but I don't think
it can be done with POV-Ray's radiosity, reflections and refractions
would require a lot of re-raytracing, and I have doubts about the
photons...adding to a kd-tree is a problem, though there is a bkd tree
that could solve this problem. You could do it in stages, producing
progressively higher quality renders, but that would require either very
good planning or a very smart adaptive algorithm to avoid wasting time
on things that make no difference. Perhaps "fingerprinting" the scene by
rendering a few hundred pixels from it to compare with previous versions
would work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/