POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : new free HDRI Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  new free HDRI (Message 11 to 20 of 37)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: new free HDRI
Date: 12 May 2005 09:24:00
Message: <428358f0@news.povray.org>
Vincent LE CHEVALIER <gal### [at] libertysurffr> wrote:
> Christoph Hormann has a tool on his web-page called HCR-Edit, that might
> be what you're looking for :
> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/hcredit/index.html

  I tried it and when I try to open a hdri image it just crashes.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 12 May 2005 09:26:23
Message: <4283597f@news.povray.org>
> Cinepaint: http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/

"Windows version is currently broken and won't be available again until
Glasgow"

  Seems like my cause is hopeless.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Vincent LE CHEVALIER
Date: 12 May 2005 10:27:19
Message: <428367c7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Vincent LE CHEVALIER <gal### [at] libertysurffr> wrote:
>
>>Christoph Hormann has a tool on his web-page called HCR-Edit, that might
>>be what you're looking for :
>>http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/hcredit/index.html
>

>   I tried it and when I try to open a hdri image it just crashes.

Indeed... The funny thing is that it does open some other images (found
at http://athens.ict.usc.edu/Probes/)... No idea what the problem can be :-(

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

From: Vincent LE CHEVALIER
Date: 12 May 2005 10:40:54
Message: <42836af6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Vincent LE CHEVALIER <gal### [at] libertysurffr> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me more about 48bpp png format ? Is it able to store
>>float values ?
>

>   Truecolor images usually store 8 bits per color component. Some
> image formats, such as for example png, support also 16 bits per color
> component (making a total of 48 bits per pixel).

Ok, that was what I thought. So no floats involved, right ? Just asking,
because I'm considering a project right now, which will need high
dynamic range images, and thus I'm looking for the format that would
suit my needs best...

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 12 May 2005 11:33:55
Message: <op.sqn5m8cvcs6ysw@frogeater.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:26:23 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   Seems like my cause is hopeless.

If all you need is to convert HDR images to PNG16, the following script
will do it. Output with +FN16 and the proper resolution (and replace the
filename of course). It's a little slow, but at least it works under
Windows.

#version unofficial MegaPov 1.1;

global_settings {
	assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera {
	orthographic
	location <0, 0, 10>
	sky y
	up y
	right x
	direction -z
}

plane {
	z, 0
	texture {
		pigment {
			image_map {
				hdr "grace_probe.hdr"
				once
			}
			translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>
		}
		finish {
			diffuse 0
			ambient 1
		}
	}
}

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 12 May 2005 13:31:37
Message: <428392f9@news.povray.org>
"Vincent LE CHEVALIER" <gal### [at] libertysurffr> wrote in message
> Megapov can use directly hdr files in a scene, as explained in section 4.3
> of Megapov's help file. If you just want to view hdr files, then HDRView
> will do the trick : http://athens.ict.usc.edu/FiatLux/hdrview/ . Also, the
> page http://athens.ict.usc.edu/Research/HDR/ is I believe a good starter
> about High Dynamic Range Images.
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> --
> Vincent

Thank you, that does help :^}>
Steve Shelby
http://www.shelbyvision.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 May 2005 13:45:02
Message: <d604kq$q3h$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:
>>http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/hcredit/index.html
>

>   I tried it and when I try to open a hdri image it just crashes.

I have to say i did not recently maintain this program any more but i
did never experience crashes when loading HDR images with the version i
use here occasionally.  I am not completely sure though if the version
on the website is completely up-to-date.  Could you point me to an image
that causes it crash?

Note i have felt myself the need for a simple hdr to xxx converter (xxx
being png or ppm - it does not really matter in the end) - combining it
with your favourite image viewer would allow a quick preview of hdr
images and it could also be used for conversion tasks.  But i did not
yet find the time to write one.

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 12 May 2005 16:26:57
Message: <op.sqoi7mdbcs6ysw@frogeater.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:43:53 +0200, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Note i have felt myself the need for a simple hdr to xxx converter (xxx
> being png or ppm - it does not really matter in the end) - combining it
> with your favourite image viewer would allow a quick preview of hdr
> images and it could also be used for conversion tasks.  But i did not
> yet find the time to write one.

Seeing as how I already had a program that could convert HDR <--> OpenEXR,
it was a relatively small task to add rudimentary PNG support. It can read
PNG files with 8 or 16 bits/component, and write PNG files with 16
bits/component. It's a very simple program, so no gamma correction,
exposure control etc.
It is Windows only; I don't want to have to check all of it for
portability. Tested on XP and 98SE.

If anyone is interested, you can find it at:
http://hem.bredband.net/b230591/hdr2exr.zip

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 12 May 2005 16:45:01
Message: <4283c04d@news.povray.org>

http://www.evermotion.org/free/sky0041.zip

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 12 May 2005 16:47:57
Message: <4283c0fd@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson <noo### [at] nowherecom> wrote:
> If all you need is to convert HDR images to PNG16

  I would also like to be able to tune the exposure/contrast/whatever
of the hdri image before saving it.
  I suppose that is also possible with megapov, but I don't have it installed.
Perhaps I should.

--
                                                          - Warp