POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  JPEG2000 (Message 202 to 211 of 231)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: JPEG2000
Date: 12 Mar 2004 13:51:20
Message: <405206a8@news.povray.org>
"Artis Rozentals" <art### [at] aaaapollolv> wrote in message
news:m27### [at] aaaapollolv...
> IMBJR <no### [at] spamhere> writes:
>
> > PNG is still bulky compared with JPEG/JPEG2000.
>
> For the sake of it I installed JasPer, converted your "marbles" image
> to PNG and pngcrushed it. A whooping 8kB larger than the JPEG2000 you
> posted on p.b.i. It's 8bit per channel though, but I had to reduce the
> color depth to view the image anyway.

Never heard of pngcrush before, I just d/l'd & tried it out on a 2.3meg
jpeg.  The conversion done by ms paint resulted in a 13meg file, so far it
looks like pngcrush can get it to about 7megs.  How did you get it to
compress an image so well?

--
...Chambers
http://www.geocities.com/bdchambers79