POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 12 Mar 2004 16:01:02
Message: <uj8450pgqgqtsmvkom1cdv07pkrknf8sks@4ax.com>
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:25:26 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>Dear IMBJR,
>
>I though my previous post was to be the last.
>Well, it isn't. For the reason at the bottom of this mail.
>
>There are also some things that I forgot to mention in this
>discussion until now.
>
>First, some of the images I made over the last decade
>have turned into covers of books (mainly dutch thesis but
>also one pocket). I have always been astounded by the
>liberty the 'art' department of the printers take with
>my material. I can tell you that it is much worse than
>conversion of an image from JPEG2000 into JPEG. I have
>never lost my temper over this, so I have no understanding
>at all for your reaction in that respect.

You surprise me, but then again I'm perhaps not surprised. From what
I've heard about commercial printing - it's no surprise your intent is
ruined.

>> Try telling that to the Palestinians, the Chechians, the this the
>> that.
>Often in your reactions to other people you give the impression
>that you just react to something without any consideration to
>the context as if you have an attention span of less than a single
>sentence. Which is strange because you referred me to the context
>in the reaction before. This remark in itself is in the context
>silly at best (I think it is rude, but that is not the point here).

Definately not the point. As for context, again this shows us why this
place is no community  - it has very poor sense of context.

>> Sorry. No doughnut.
>Duh, apparently some sort of slang that I do not know of.

Are you seriously telling me you've never heard this expression. Well,
perhaps English is not your native language. Oh well.

>Could be related to 'Close, but no cigar', but something

Yes, that's the doughnut!

>like that does not make sense in the context.

Oh well, perhaps it is difficult to impact my meaning if your idioms
are not up to scratch.

>>>No, and I do not understand this remark. It feels as if you
>>>try to imply that I wanted you react in a certain way.
>>
>> Your feelings do not betray you.
>>
>Which proves I think that you do _read_ but are unable to
>_understand_ what I say. Seldom had that problem before, so
>I guess it is you.

No. It's both of us. Be more precise. Digging at someone without
realising that you can also see yourself in the mirror is not going to
get your points accepted.

>> Perhaps for you, but I live in the real world.
>Strange, I had the idea that I was also living in the
>real world, but if you think otherwise, I reconsider.

Thank you.

>> Yawn. That is like teaching of the sucking of the eggs.
>Another of those incomprehensible sayings. I have no
>clue at all what it means.

More idiom: you were trying to teach me something that is
self-evident.

>> Tee-hee!
>What is that supposed to mean?

You do not understand written laughter?

>Second major point here: at least three incomprehensible

Don't blame me or yourself. It's obvious I should not have used
Enlgish idioms that you do not understand.

>All probably related to some form
>of slang or local sayings that I am not aware of.
>I just want to take the opportunity to support al those
>that have told you again and again, that this is a
>NG with a very mixed group of users. Apart from the
>things explicitly mentioned in the AUP there are also
>a number of rules to obey that have simply to do with
>what is called 'nettiquete' or basic minimal requirements
>for decent conduct in the community. So in case you did
>not pick it up yet: only use language the receiving
>party can understand.

The trouble with that is that I am unfamilar with your personal
education and culture. Another nail in the coffin of thinking this
place is a community. We all have quite different life outlooks due to
our national differences.

>In most cases that means
>simple sentences, no difficult words outside
>of the topic of the news group and definitely no
>slang. Basically texts that even a french girl or a
>japanese boy with only a couple years of training in
>english can understand.

Dear me, you really want this place that bland. Bang goes any in-depth
conversation then. Goodbye philosophy on off-topic. Good-bye technical
banter on the technical groups.

>Third: also mentioned before, and I just want to support it
>which you have used to a number of people here in the group.
>IMHO this is a clear violation of the AUP.

I'm not sure it is. Apparently asking people to leave is, but asking
people to ignore oneself I really don't see as a breach. No one else
has mentioned this. Any help on this, admin, or those who breath the
AUP?

>Finally at last, the reason why I wanted to write one
>more letter. I have been thinking very hard on this and
>finally reached a conclusion. Reading you mails is
>no pleasure at all (and as you yourself made clear that
>is also one of the purposes of them).

Pardon? I think you really should have quoted me on that. Such a
statement does not gell with the way I look at it.

>So I either had
>to stop reading these NGs or had to change the settings
>of my news reader. It will probably come as no surprise
>that I decided for the latter. I activated a couple
>of filters to delete everything you send before I
>get a chance to see it.

So you took my advice after all. Good for you.

> I though it was decent to at least
>inform you of this. I have to do it for every NG
>separately and did not do it for all the groups yet.
>They are activated for this group however, so even
>if you reply (which I am sure you will. I would not even
>be surprised if you had started your reply before
>even coming to this point), I will never see it.
>Today has been already one of the more pleasant
>days in the last two weeks reading the news.

Glad to hear it.

>I have no doubt that in ten or twenty years time you
>will finally understand what I and many others have
>been trying to tell you and be embarrassed with
>yourself. I hope to meet you again whenever that happens,

That's just plain weird. You really think this place has that level of
significance? After that time period, I doubt I'll even remember
dealing with the folks on this group.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com