POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  JPEG2000 (Message 192 to 201 of 231)
From: IMBJR
Subject: Re: JPEG2000
Date: 11 Mar 2004 15:38:34
Message: <lqj150dh1ov3r8n5gddrhig40tss29ic2k@4ax.com>
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:08:11 -0000, "scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:

>IMBJR wrote this:
>> You've also got to learn to think things through.
>
>after having written this:
>> I AM OUT OF RANGE OF BROADBAND. I CANNOT USE IT.
>
>What you meant to say was you were out of range of ADSL from your local
>exchange.  We have broadband installed and we are almost 10 miles from the
>exchange.

Well, duh!

--------------------------------
My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com

Post a reply to this message

From: IMBJR
Date: 11 Mar 2004 16:12:46
Message: <4rl150dmbnhdtasjmbs677bqg681t1oh5d@4ax.com>
On 10 Mar 2004 21:19:40 -0500, Tom Galvin <tom### [at] imporg> wrote:

>IMBJR <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in
>

>>>Just think of this server as one those islands of
>>>civility.  It certianly has an amazing gallery.
>>
>> Comparing this place with NYC's finest is a joke.
>>

>The highlights of my trip to Europe last month, were the Louvre, MontMarte
>at night, dinner with Apache, and lunch with Gilles.  It was a trip I will
>long remember.  IMHO, this is a community with amazing people.

This is a news server with amazing (?) people.

--------------------------------

From: Ross Litscher
Date: 11 Mar 2004 18:15:18
Message: <4050f306@news.povray.org>
"IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:02:12 -0000, "scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:

> >This J2K case is a perfect example.  Do I bother to download extra
software
> >and have to spend extra time converting each image to view it on my
> >computer, risk the software doing something nasty to my machine, and the
> >massive risk that most people won't be able to see my images?  Ok, so J2K
is
> >a better format technically, but I'm not going to use it until it is the
> >"norm".
>
> LOL
>
> Such a good example of technophobia.

After just reading this entire thread of 190+ messages, I hesitate to get
involved in this nonsense. Alas, i dive in...

I don't consider waiting until something it robust, and easily usable a
technophobe. If that were the case, I would be a technophobe for not keeping
my linux kernel up to date with the latest experimental patch. It's an "ease
of use", "out of sight, out of mind" thing, not a fear of new technologies.

IBBJR, I do have a question for you that came up in reading the large number
of posts in this thread. If you are only concerned for the image quality of
your art to be maintained, not really interested in comments about it, and
don't care if anyone really sees it (but hope that some people will look at
it?), and are concerned for bandwidth, why not post to
povray.binaries.scene-files or povray.text.scene-files? that way, people can
render your work in the full glory of uncompressed 16 bit images at whatever
resolution they want. Additionally, consider you have just text files as
povray source (i.e., no image maps or other non-text data). A 180kb text
file could theoretically compress down well below the size of a compressed
image file, thus saving you the time it takes to upload files to the news
server. Uploading seems to be your primary concern, because you never wanted
to force others to post in jpg2000, you just wanted to be allowed to do so.
Is the assumption of uploading being your concern true? It does however put
the burden of viewing the image on the shoulders of the other person, but in
this case, they already have the software (povray) to do so.

by the way, and neither here nor there, i wholey disagree with you on your
arguments that news.povray.org is part of Usenet. i just had to mention it
because it was particularly bugging me. along with your argument that the
Internet came into existence the first time people connected two computers
together. "internets" and the "Internet" are networks, but not all networks
(for example, the first two computers ever connected) are internets. i would
only consider a network to be an internet or part of an internet if it in
some way used the IP stack. Usenet is a system of sharing nntp feeds between
servers. While news.povray.org runs on nntp, it is not a part of the system
that shares feeds. not a part of the Usenet system.

that being said, i need to get home before the laundromat closes and i can'
t do my laundry goodnight. happy tracing,
ross

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:15:10 -0500, "Ross Litscher"
<rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:

>After just reading this entire thread of 190+ messages, I hesitate to get
>involved in this nonsense. Alas, i dive in...
>
>I don't consider waiting until something it robust, and easily usable a
>technophobe. If that were the case, I would be a technophobe for not keeping
>my linux kernel up to date with the latest experimental patch. It's an "ease
>of use", "out of sight, out of mind" thing, not a fear of new technologies.

JPEG2000 != experimental patch as they say in C++

>IBBJR, I do have a question for you that came up in reading the large number
>of posts in this thread. If you are only concerned for the image quality of
>your art to be maintained, not really interested in comments about it, and
>don't care if anyone really sees it (but hope that some people will look at
>it?), and are concerned for bandwidth, why not post to
>povray.binaries.scene-files or povray.text.scene-files? that way, people can
>render your work in the full glory of uncompressed 16 bit images at whatever
>resolution they want.

An interesting idea for sure. Makes one wonder exactly where the
copyright on the image itself produced lies.

As for giving the code away. I'd rather not. It's not as if it's a
trade secret or I use some very skillful programming, it's just that
it's the means to the end. If I were doing 2D work, it would be like
giving away the Photoshop file, or even the source images and telling
people how to knock them together.

>Additionally, consider you have just text files as
>povray source (i.e., no image maps or other non-text data).

Quite often I do have image data to consider, as I like the
eval_pigment function a lot.

>A 180kb text
>file could theoretically compress down well below the size of a compressed
>image file, thus saving you the time it takes to upload files to the news
>server. Uploading seems to be your primary concern, because you never wanted
>to force others to post in jpg2000, you just wanted to be allowed to do so.
>Is the assumption of uploading being your concern true? It does however put
>the burden of viewing the image on the shoulders of the other person, but in
>this case, they already have the software (povray) to do so.

My main concern was keeping the intent of the master image as much as
possible. Of course, the image group is not about best quality, but I
like to get close with my 'net-based intent.

>by the way, and neither here nor there, i wholey disagree with you on your
>arguments that news.povray.org is part of Usenet. i just had to mention it
>because it was particularly bugging me. along with your argument that the
>Internet came into existence the first time people connected two computers
>together. "internets" and the "Internet" are networks, but not all networks
>(for example, the first two computers ever connected) are internets. i would
>only consider a network to be an internet or part of an internet if it in
>some way used the IP stack.

That's why I mentioned a transport protocol in one posting. I agree 2
computers together are not the start of the net - but that protocol
was I believe a founding principle.

>Usenet is a system of sharing nntp feeds between
>servers. While news.povray.org runs on nntp, it is not a part of the system
>that shares feeds. not a part of the Usenet system.

Mmm, even a node that is not connects is still a node.